PDA

View Full Version : Finally-Changing my CC to sand

MedcinMn
04/07/2003, 07:10 PM
I'm finally getting around to changing my CC to sand. Once I have my sand in place, I plan on taking some CC and putting into a stocking (don't tell my wife) to help seed the system w/ bacteria. I've also heard of "charge" or "recharge" kits. What are these and where should I get them? Also, how many do I need for a 125?

Thanks,

Aaron

guitarfish
04/07/2003, 08:17 PM
MedcinMn - check out this thread:
Making Sand LIVE (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169850)

I bought worms, amphipods & cerith snails from Greg mentioned in the thread, and I also bought 5lbs of his live sand. I have 50lb of Southdown. I've had the stuff for a week now, so far so good - every now and then I see a worm, and tonight I found 6 amphipods living on my FILTER! I put them back in the main tank.

I'm hoping everything multiplies nicely.

MedcinMn
04/07/2003, 08:53 PM
Assuming that my tank will cycle again, do I have to wait until my ammonia and nitrite come down before adding this kit?

mirski57
04/08/2003, 10:26 AM
I had a 1 1/2" CC substrate and I added 5 bags of SouthDown on top of it to get a minimum of 5" and maximum of 7". My tank was already over a year old when I did this and I had no cycling. There was a heck of a sandstorm, but it went away by morning. Basically I moved all my rock to the left..dumped in 2 1/2 bags of SD, then I moved all my LR to the right side of my tank and added another 2 1/2 bags of SD.

I know that the "best" way is to remove the CC first, but I haven't had any problems for the last year and a half or so since I've had this. If you remove the CC, I believe you may get some cycling due to some die off.

Can't remember were I got my "Starter kit" from, but I know it cost around $125 and had a large diversity of sand dwelling creatures.

Just my $.02
Mirski57

topjimmy
04/08/2003, 10:36 AM
I just did that about a year ago. I removed all the rock, fish, etc to a 40 gal Rubbermaid container with a heater and PH. Removed all the CC (god that stuff was NASTY). I saved about 6 softball sized nylon bags. Cleaned the tank, scraped all the sides and washed with warm water and vinegar.

Dumped in the SD, added water, added salt, heater and a PH. Once it was to the right temp and SG, I put in the balls of CC that I had saved. It took almost a week for the tank to clear and I scraped all the foamy gunk off the top.

Once it cleared I put back the LR, Fish, snails, etc. Lost my Yellow Tang in the process (sad day). All went well for a long time till I needed to use tap water for about a week, been fighting algae ever since.....sigh.

JimC.

guitarfish
04/08/2003, 11:25 AM
MedcinMn
do I have to wait until my ammonia and nitrite come down before adding this kit?

I am not certain, maybe someone else will chime in. Live rock produces ammo when it cycles, but the live things in it remain alive. If you contact Greg, I'm sure he'll know. BTW, the stuff I bought was $25, and I paid $20 to ship overnight. Very reasonable !!