PDA

View Full Version : Should I dump it ?

cellexjohn
04/07/2003, 06:02 PM
I'm finally ready for my first water change on the 75. I have been curing the rock for 5 weeks and the biological filter is established. I see the "bugs" are multiplying along with some featherdusters and some sponges seem to have made it too.

I headed down to Premium Aquatics for some more toys, and decided to try the Crystal Seas Marinemix for the 38 gallon water change. I mixed it up last night adding the salt over a 10 min period. I usually use Reef Crystals which clears in 10 min. The Crystal Seas Marinemix is still cloudy after 24 hours. I decided to do some testing while waiting for it to clear.

SG 1.025
Temp 79
38 Gal of makeup

Aqua Pharm kits
pH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Hagen kits
Ammonia .2
Ca 360

I was surprised to see the amonia in there. So I tested my RO/DI water and 0.

I then mixed up some Reef Crystals mixing it for an hour and got 0.

I dont have anything in the tank but the cured rock and the life left on it but, I wouldn't think adding the water with ammonia would be good either way.

The Crystal Seas Marine mix is is the container that the RO/DI water was held in so I can only figure it came from the salt ?

Suggestions ?

Nanook
04/07/2003, 06:24 PM
Hmm, I would be leary to add the water to my tank with an ammonia level of .2, that is odd. Your RODI water tests "0"? You might call the company and ask them why you are registering ammonia.

Nanook

cellexjohn
04/07/2003, 07:18 PM
I mixed a small 1 gallon batch and retested it. I am still getting .2ppm of ammonia. I tested my RO/DI before adding the Crystal Seas Marinemix and the RO/DI was zero. There is no doubt that the ammonia is coming form the salt mix.... Bummer

I emailed Marine Enterprises Internationl about the problem. Guess I will have to wait for my first water change.

Pod
04/07/2003, 07:36 PM
I had a 60 lbs bucket of instant ocean that was very cloudy when mixed. I added it to my tank for a water change and it of course clouded the whole tank. Having spent $50 on the salt at my next change it did the same thing but I added it again. DUH!
I dumped it and got more salt. All is well. The bad salt left a white residue on EVERYTHING it touched. I never would have thought it but I firmly beleive there can be bad salt.

P.S. I am from Indiana too.
Why does Premium Aquatics sound familiar?
Where are they/you
I am in bloomington

cellexjohn
04/07/2003, 07:52 PM
Premium Aquatics is in Indy. They have some great deals. It's worth the hour drive from Lafayette.
Premium Aquatics (http://www.premiumaquatics.com)

Have you been to Inland Aquatics in Terre Haute? Looks like an hour from you either way. I Hear that place is amazing. I haven't made the trip yet. 3 hours for me.
Inland Aquatics (http://www.inlandaquatics.com)
Later

cellexjohn
04/07/2003, 11:10 PM
I saw a post somewhere here about bleaching issues with this brand. Did anyone having these problems test the salt for ammonia, or anything else ? I can't believe that I got the only tainted bucket .

John

Pod
04/08/2003, 12:30 PM
Yes been there twice.
They have quite a bit of stuff.
I talked with someone about it on a link called

"Inland aquatics road trip"

I want to go back but I have got into the online ordering lately.