PDA

View Full Version : Blueline 10k bulb? burns bluer than an Ushio 10k?

J Crew
04/07/2003, 06:00 PM
when i was at my LFS the other day, i asked how he (the salesman) thought this coral would look under 10k lighting. he then said, "this is 10k lighting." i asked what brand and he said blueline. man did that tank look alot more blue than my ushio 10ks. i mean to me it was the perfect color... right between white and too blue.

so does the blueline really burn that much more blue than regular 10ks? if so, is it only on the blueline ballast?... or will they burn that blue on any e-ballast? i'm now thinking about upgrading my dual pfo ballast to two e-ballast and running 175w bluelines. those puppies were sweet. thanks for any suggestions and help, peace :)

wedfr
04/07/2003, 06:42 PM
im not sure but i think blueline bulbs dont give off even close to the amount of light as the ushios do, also the blueline eballasts also will run any bulbs you put into them dimmer and dont give off as much PAR thats how they save energy. there are some charrts and studies done on them. I dont have the links but do a search on yahoo for the ballasts your lookin for.

BTW i haev some 150/175 Advance E-Ballasts for sale. They dont save as much electricity as the bluelines or icecaps but they will burn the bulbs a little brighter.

J Crew
04/07/2003, 08:49 PM
thanks for info... anyone else know about these bluelines?

Mandoman
04/07/2003, 08:52 PM
I ran a blueline on a blueline eballast for a couple of weeks and my corals HATED it. The light was tooooooooo blue and the PAR was significantly less. I ditched it.

Desolas
04/07/2003, 09:12 PM
Over my 75G I have one Blueline 10K and one Ushio 10K. Other than light color I'm not noticing anything positive over the Blueline bulb. I like the color of the Blueline better, and the corals look nicer under it IMO.

I would not run the Blueline with the Blueline ballast, that is way too blue, looks like a Radium.

From what I've heard, and read the Ushio's have a better PAR value and put out more light than the Bluelines do.

J Crew
04/09/2003, 07:05 PM
well, i've seen the blueline bulb running on a blueline ballast at my LFS... and i love it. i think the color is awsome. what i'm wondering is:

if the blueline bulb only looks like this on the blueline ballast?

or will it look just as blue on any e-ballast?

thanks for any more clarification :)

longahan
04/09/2003, 07:38 PM
I ran the blueline 10Ks,in my opinion they suck!I ran them for like a year.Mine were the 250W.My corals never grew,I had low light bleaching and they are way too blue!I replaced them with the 6500k's and within weeks my corals were back and i have awsome growth.I have talked to others with these bulbs,everyone has removed them.So just to give the heads up!

crab0000
04/09/2003, 08:38 PM
FWIW my Blueline's looked much more blue than my Radium's and they were not as bright. I ran both on Blueline ballasts. I was actually diappointed with the 400's until I got the Radium's, now I am very happy.
Steve