PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Seawater

beermanic
04/07/2003, 05:54 PM
I recently have setup a 55 Gallon Aquarium tank. I received my 60lbs of live rock this Sunday and it is in the process of curing in my 55 gallon tank. I also have 3 backup 55 gallon tanks, to help with the cycling process. One tank that contains RO water, for topping off the seawater. Another tank for Additional Seawater, will adjust all the parameters to be the same as the main tank. I was thinking of making the third tank into a seawater recycling tank.

When the Ammonia level gets too high for the live rock, I was thinking of putting the water that I was changing into this empty tank and let the Ammonia breakdown until there is no trace of it, Nitrites or Nitrates. I don't think there is anything wrong with this water because it should still have all of it's trace elements and just needs to get the proper bactaria going. I was also thinking of increasing the temperature of that tank to the high 80's. Am I wrong in assuming the ammonia cycle happens faster at higher temperatures.

My goal is to stay on top of all the water changes to avoid loosing any of the live stuff to bad water quality and to try and not burn alot of money on salt. I do realize that once the tank is up and running I will have to do regular water changes to replace trace elements and to get rid of other things that might get concentrated in the water.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, about how many days does it usually take for something to start growing on the live rock. I have 4-40W Actinic bulbs going for about 12 hrs and a lot of jets and a sea clone skimmer.(Until my homemade one is competed) going. I read that it is best to introduce light to live rock to try and save anything that requires light. Hopefully I will not get any algae problems from just the blue lights. If I do, I will cut back on the lights.