PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

Reefrock
04/07/2003, 05:45 PM
I am setting up a new tank and my water is cloudy. First I added Southdown sand. There was no water in the tank. I simply added it to the bottom. I then added RO water for 3 days to fill the tank. it was crystal clear during this time, as the sand did not get disturbed. 3 Days ago, I started adding salt. After I started adding the salt, the water got cloudy. Can anyone explain to me why the water is cloudy? there is no rock in the tank, and no lights on yet. Just a sand bed, added RO water, then salt, then cloudiness.

Any ideas?

Nanook
04/07/2003, 05:47 PM
What temperature was the water when you added the salt mix? If the water was cool, that may be the problem. FWIW, I always have read that you should add the sand, then add PRE-mixed saltwater to the tank. Your DSB is saturated with freshwater, I wonder if this would cause a problem for lifeforms?

Nanook

Reefrock
04/07/2003, 06:00 PM
The temp was cold around 60-65. I added a heater this morning, and I think it is now around 70...

Nanook
04/07/2003, 06:03 PM
Yeah, that cold temp could be all it was...bring it up to high 70s to 80ish and it should clear up.

Nanook

Hemmie
04/07/2003, 06:08 PM
FWIW, I always have read that you should add the sand, then add PRE-mixed saltwater to the tank. Your DSB is saturated with freshwater, I wonder if this would cause a problem for lifeforms?

Dr Ron mentioned this once, that you have to make sure your sand is saturated with Salt Water, not fresh.

I guess you'll have to mix up the sand to get it saturated with the SW.

Reefrock
04/08/2003, 06:48 AM
How long should it take for the water to clear after the I have raised the temperature ??

mirski57
04/08/2003, 09:42 AM
Is it dirty cloudy ? or is it sandy cloudy ?

If it's just dirty cloudy, I would add some carbon.

If it's sandy dirty, then it should go away in 2-3 days after bacteria has had a chance to get kick started.

LX302
04/08/2003, 09:52 AM
Like Hemmie said, I would stir up the whole tank to saturate the sand bed.
You should have pre-mixed the water before adding to the tank.
:(
This will cloud the tank for 2-3 days and then settle down. I'd also add the heater too. Just don't run the slimmer.