PDA

View Full Version : clam eating emerald crab?

liz+russ
04/07/2003, 05:12 PM
I found that there was a bit of a chunck taken out of the mantle of my clam today, down by one end. Its not very big and the clam still looks happy, but Im currious what did it to him. My emerald crab is kind of bad. He eats pollups off of my leathers somtimes, but not too many, and he does a good job of eating the algae so he is sticking around. Incase its not him, other things in the tank. A small assortment of hermits, and two cleaner shrimp. The cleaner shrimp I have seen pick at the clam after he closes up at night but they just look like they are looking around for food, not hurting anything. Im blaming the emerald crab. what do you guys think?

brianlena2000
04/07/2003, 05:41 PM
How big is the emerald crab? When they get big they can become a problem. We watched a big emerald crab tear a chunk off the tail of a blue hippo tang last week at the LFS. Luckily an employee of the store was watching with us and has since removed the crab from the tank.

liz+russ
04/07/2003, 06:01 PM
yea he is deacent size, just his body is probably a little better than an inch across. A couple pollops off a leather is one thing, but if he is messing with my clam than its back to the pet store for him. Any idea how to catch him?