PDA

View Full Version : temp sensors? how to make them control fans?

FireMarshalBill
04/07/2003, 04:52 PM
I'd like to setup some temperature sensors that automatically turn on when the temp gets too high.
Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Where to get the temp sensors?

Thanks

FireMarshalBill
04/07/2003, 06:55 PM
Bump!

Frick-n-Frags
04/07/2003, 07:00 PM
Well, from an industrial automation perspective you need 2 things:

1) Your Input/Output devices and
2) Your control system

Think of your thermostat in your house as a heat controller and I/O combined. There is a temp sensor that monitors temps and you program(pick the setpoint(s)) when the furnace/AC will come on. Once the setpoint is reached, the thermostat fires an output and turns on the furnace/AC.

That is the difference between a monitor and a controller. The controller has a monitor but additionally can do something besides just monitor.

There are several aquarium products that do exactly these things and you may want to search the various vendors for the selection currently available.

There are probably some <$100 PC cards that are programmable and have some I/O on them to like turn on a fan or chiller, and for sure there are some really cheap PLC's and RTD's that could be used for a temp controller setup, but it helps to be an automation programmer/engineer or know someone to integrate that stuff for you, or just buy like an Octopus which someone has done the engineering for you(which you WILL pay for :) but you see the vertical value added to that controller because it has been set up for aquarium hobbiests.

barebottoms
04/07/2003, 07:06 PM
Some specs on the fans will be useful. If you don't have the fans already, you can order fans with thermistors thus saving you all the hassel.

kevin_kramer
04/07/2003, 07:18 PM
I use feedback from my temperature monitor to a serial port on a linux computer and switch x10 devices ad needed. I used to use some Windows based software I think that might of been Aquanotes. I don't really remember though.

FireMarshalBill
04/07/2003, 09:13 PM
fans with thermasistors? could someone explain that?
I need simple terms and simple instructions, i stoopid.

crescent1
04/07/2003, 09:40 PM
go buy one of those won brothers heaters and instead of pluging in the heater to the control unit, plug in one of your fans this way when the temp probe in side your sump or tank kicks on it will turn on your fans, get it.

MrSandman
04/08/2003, 01:36 AM
Can't you just buy a chiller controller and hook up the fans to it instead of a chiller? My Octopus 3000 can function as a chiller controller via X10 modules. Since i don't have a chiller, i was just thinking of running several fans instead. I don't see why that wouldn't work. :confused:

FireMarshalBill
04/08/2003, 10:31 AM
what are x10 modules?

rbaker
04/08/2003, 10:36 AM
Just buy this (http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=29), it's easier...

Ryan

barebottoms
04/08/2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by FireMarshalBill
fans with thermasistors? could someone explain that?
I need simple terms and simple instructions, i stoopid.

http://www.taylorelectronics.com/technicalhelp.asp

What`s the purpose of a temp sensing fan? Top
A temp sensing fan is designed to respond to changes in temperature within a customer`s system. Basically, as the environment gets hotter, the fan works harder to cool the system by delivering more air. A fan works harder by increasing its RPM, which then increases airflow.

What are the different ways a temp sensing fan can be controlled or configured? Top
There are 3 basic options TEI offers: 1) a hub mounted thermistor, 2) a remote third lead wire with a thermistor on the end, or 3) a remote 3rd lead with voltage controlling the speed of the fan.

What information do we need from the customer to build a temp sensing fan? Top

Hub mounted thermistor:
Engineering needs to know the performance needed at a given temperature. This is typically illustrated with a temperature versus RPM curve.
Remote temp sense thermistor controlled( 3rd lead wire):
Engineering needs to know need the resistance (in Ohms) versus RPM. A curve is the best way.
Remote temp sense voltage controlled:
Engineering needs to know the performance (RPM) at different voltages. The voltage range we offer is from 0-6 volts. This is for the control lead only and should not be confused with fan operating voltage.

That is just an example from one fan company. Almost every fan manufacturer offers thermistor options for their fans.

portelli
04/08/2003, 10:55 AM
they sell fan controllers for computers that can control up to 8 fans. that might be of use.