PDA

View Full Version : halimeda..good or bad

masterfuji01
04/07/2003, 03:43 PM
I have read that halimeda is a calcium sucking plant that draws allteh calcium out of our water. ive also read that its a terrible thing to put ina refugium, but i keep seeing it in tons of poeple's tanks. Is there any benefit to halimeda in a reef system??

Eric Boerner
04/07/2003, 03:49 PM
Not that much of a calcium sucker. A single Montipora Capricornis colony will suck more calc out of your reef than a whole forest of Halimeda. It is also a nutrient consumer as well. So you do get that benefit. You can also use in your main display, since it is very rarely eaten, unlike other macro's.

Jamesurq
04/07/2003, 03:51 PM
I just tossed mine into a seperate algae only tank. It grew SO fast and took over the refugium. I couldn't keep my calcium up so I'm trying it without the halmedia.

I'll bookmark this and let you know tonight what the calcium is at. I just recharged my kalk dripper last night, so if it's back up, it's a good indication. Hardly a scientific experiment, but who cares.

rvitko
04/07/2003, 03:57 PM
Personally I love Halimeda- almost more than some corals. It is a good source of greenery in the reef color palette.

rleechb
04/07/2003, 04:08 PM
can i throw the stuff into a main tank? will it take over the live rock? how does it compare to caulerpa for nutrient export?

rvitko
04/07/2003, 04:10 PM
It grows slower than caulerpa, my understanding is that the only algae that really does anything measurable for nutrient consumption is turf.

mhltcob
04/07/2003, 04:21 PM
I have had it before and it grew really fast, as fast as my caulerpa. The good thing about it is it isnt eaten by tangs and when it grows it is easily removed (unlike caulerpa). It does take out calcium so just watch your calcium and kh levels and dose accordingly. I don't know how effective it is at nutrient export as my nitrates were undetectible before and after. I would assume it does a relatively good job depending on its rate of growth.

masterfuji01
04/07/2003, 05:44 PM
thanks guyg for all the comments... it sounds like it does a good job of looking good, but other than that there is no real benefit(other than minimal nutrient export and sucking up calcium) im gunna thinkmore aobut the huge bush i have in my tank haha. and what is this "turf" you speak of. im unfamiliar with this macro. please tell me more:)

rvitko
04/07/2003, 07:22 PM
Turf algae- looks like astro turf- don't have any books handy but I'm sure you have seen it- perhaps someone can post a scientific name. It is the basis for algal turf scrubbers.

Jamesurq
04/07/2003, 07:44 PM
UPDATE: Calcium at 400.

Believe it....... Or not.

freakyreef
04/08/2003, 12:59 AM
I heard it was a good indicator of tank conditions, turns a brownish green under less than ideal conditions. Has anyone else heard of this?

mirski57
04/08/2003, 10:01 AM
I like having it in my reef. I do have to harvest it once in a while though, but I certainly don't consider it a nuisance.