PDA

View Full Version : Crushed coral, ewwww...Carib Sea, HARAYYY!!

1BadHawk
04/07/2003, 02:51 PM
Well, I went today to check out the selection of substrate for my new 125. Ive heard a lot of negative talk about crushed coral, at 8 bucks a bag. Personaly I like the look of the Ciribsea stuff better but at 30 bucks a bag, I could settle for the look of the crushed coral.

It seems to me the cribsea stuff is the same but much finer. Im probably wrong, but can someone explain the difference to me, other then 20 bucks a bag.

Perhaps I could put an inch or so of southdown, then another inch of caribsea to save on the cost. What do you think?

Nanook
04/07/2003, 03:40 PM
Depends on what you are wanting. If you want a functional deep sand bed, then avoid the crushed coral. You will want the finest sand you can get. Do a search for Southdown Sand, that is the reefers best bargain going. I used the Caribsea Sugar Size sand in my 120g before I found a source for the Southdown Sand. In the great scheme of things, having a functional DSB is in my opinion pretty important...not something you want to tear your tank down later to save a few bucks.

Nanook

1BadHawk
04/08/2003, 04:15 AM
I can get SD here, and had it at one time in my 90g tank. Problem I found was that after a few months the top surface started to turn a brownish color and became hard. Sort of like a bowl of sugar does when its exposed to moisture. Looking back now It probably had to do with the impurities in the water, and possibly the chemical imbalances, since I was fairly new to reefing and wasnt using RO/DI water.

This was several years ago now, and my tank is prety well maintained and balances. But I'd hate to fill it with SD and find that I still have the same problem.

As for a DSB? well, Ive been doing fine with only 2" of crushed coral, to this point, so I dont have any desire to have to have a DSB.

Thanks though for the suggestion.

Nanook
04/08/2003, 04:18 AM
If it works, don't fix it!

My 300g stock tank has no substrate.

Nanook;)

1BadHawk
04/08/2003, 04:20 AM
LOL: good philosophy Nanook. One I always revert back to.

The only reason I ask is becuase my girlfriend and I both really like the way the caib sea gravel looks. Not too grainy, and yet not coarse. its Juuuussstt right :)