PDA

View Full Version : Alkalinity way too high

Detritus
04/07/2003, 02:36 PM
A couple of days ago I accidently spilled a large box of baking soda into the sump of my tank (180 gallon). Now most of the sps corals are dead, a couple of brittle starfish and even star polyps and soft corals are collapsed and/or withdrawn. I measured the pH and it is 9.0, the alkalinity is above 20 (!) and the calcium is at about 120. I need experienced advice regarding how to correct the situation without further shock to the inhabitants. If I were to do a very large water change would the sudden change in alkalinity be detrimental? Should I do daily smaller water changes until the situation corrects itself? Should I add dilute HCl daily until the alkalinity is reduced and then bring the calcium up as required? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks - I'm off to work.

theearthling
04/07/2003, 03:39 PM
First, I'd recommend you ask Randy in the chemistry forum about this. But the water change is probably a good start. Just add the replacement water slowly. Then, I think you can dump some calcium chloride (like Turbo Ca) into the tank, to bring your alk down and your Ca back up. You will need A LOT of Turbo Ca when you do this.

LOTUS50GOD
04/07/2003, 03:43 PM
WATER CHANGES!!!. Do them often, maybe 20% for next 5-7 days. Alk is a PIA to get down and can only be adjusted via water changes.

Kimo
04/07/2003, 03:46 PM
If your pH is at 9, I would add some vinegar to bring down the pH...But that's just me.

Jamie

theearthling
04/08/2003, 04:23 PM
thought you might find this thread interesting:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173460