PDA

View Full Version : yellow leather

imgrtful
04/06/2003, 08:05 PM
what is the best way to get a leather off a rock.i bought a yellow leather today and it has a smaller one that is coming up on the side of the rock.i want to try and trade with someone since i cant make it to the frag swap.thanks

eric

weefishman
04/06/2003, 09:09 PM
I'd be interested in trading or buying. Can you post a pic? I'm not sure how to remove from the rock short of either breaking the rock or cutting off the frag as close to the base as possible.

imgrtful
04/06/2003, 10:07 PM
i'll take a pic tomorrow.the lights are off now.were you at the last meeting and what do you have to trade

Lutefisk
04/07/2003, 09:37 AM
There are several ways to remove the small one - none are welcomed by the squeemish :eek:

1 - Cut off the top portion with a sharp knife and use one of the many ways to get the removed portion grow on a new rock (wedding veil material, toothpicks and rubber bands, just rubber bands, bowl of gravel, ...) The portion remaining on the rock should continue to grow.

2 - You can scrape/peel the leather from the rock

This is best done with a bowl of tank water that doesn't get returned to the tank.

I posted this response and then ran right into this thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=169500)

Paul

imgrtful
04/07/2003, 11:22 AM
here is a pic of the rock.i think i am going to try the hammer and chisel way.that might save my sps from any chemical warfare.thanks

weefishman
04/07/2003, 03:31 PM
I don't have much to trade at the moment- some green star polyps and a digitata (I believe). The star polyps are about an inch long with nice green coloring and lots of polyps (growing fast). The digitata, about an inch tall, is brown overall with greenish polyps, I bought it at an ORCA meeting a couple months ago but it hasn't grown much in my tank:(. Yes I was at the last meeting, I managed to grab a couple softies in the frag auction :).
-Jonny

imgrtful
04/07/2003, 03:48 PM
we've been looking for some green stars ever since we saw ramones tank.the way they climb down the rockwork is awsome.i am unable to break the rock but i believe i can scrape it off with a blade.do you want to wait for the next meeting or meet before.we are going deep sea fishing on the 26th.i believe that the meeting will be that day also.so hopefully we will make it.

weefishman
04/07/2003, 06:10 PM
Sounds awesome! I've seen a few threads on RC about fragging these guys (if you want to do a quick search). I'd really like to pick the frag up before the next meeting, can't wait:). If you would like, we could probably scyncronize things so that I pick up the frag right after you cut it, then I'll mount it myself and you won't have to deal with it. I have school during the week but am free evenings (after 4:00). If you want to email me your address I can figure out exactly how far away you are- jonnyseamon@hotmail.com