PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been following this one

Mojoreef
04/06/2003, 10:14 AM
Hey has anyone been following this thread here (http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16741&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) Bomber (who is Spanky one this board) is debating the pitfalls of DSB's. Seems to have a lot of info on it.

MIke

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/06/2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the link!

matt-davis sq.
04/06/2003, 05:36 PM
I'm laughing out loud!:lol:

I was lambasted on another board for even suggesting that I didn't even want to have a deep sand bed in my aquarium.

This might get me banned from RC:lol:, but (takes deep breath) I don't have a deep sand bed for the very reasons discussed in that thread,

Matt:cool:

matt-davis sq.
04/06/2003, 05:40 PM
Oh, and maybe now's the best time for me to do that study on anaerobic metabolites, although I had kept it all hush hush after what happened to Galileo, Copernicus, or one of those other guys who was burned at the steak,

Matt:lol:

Bomber
04/07/2003, 08:23 AM
Habib outed me already :eek2:

Oh, and maybe now's the best time for me to do that study on anaerobic metabolites,

Go for it Matt! :thumbsup:

matt-davis sq.
04/07/2003, 12:26 PM
The thread is here.

My field of study is microbial processes, and I have always been concerned about anaerobic metabolites coming from a deep sand bed. I had asked Dr. Randy HF (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171896), also a member of the Boston Reefers, if anyone had ever conducted a study to detect whether these metabolites are produced by a deep sand bed, and if so, what at what concentrations. While our department typically does not do marine studies, I figure they owe me after I set up a display fish tank for them. In fact, for the lab that I teach as an assistant, I am using a freshwater aquarium to deomsntrate nitrification. Perhaps this summer, when the term is over, I can try and conduct a study for reef central. This is a subject that has been on my mind for over a year now, when I was yelled at for expressing hesitancy about a deep sand bed,

Boomer
04/07/2003, 05:27 PM
Jerel there you go again starting trouble :bum: I'm gong to have to have a little Father-Son talk with you :mad2: I'm sure you have upset my good buddy agian. Has anyone checkd on him lately for fingernail legth. Mike you are just as bad :(

Matt did you miss this;

You're from Dulut? My last name is Litman,and all of my father's family is from there. Do you know any of my family? My father's first cousin is your sherif.

Yes, he just got elected, I voted for him. So do I know any of the Litman's, well yes, if a Terry or Mickey Litman is related to you. We are all old Hot-Rod Boy's. Terry has a paint shop or use to. I see Mickey about 2-3 times a year, he lives 1 mile away (funny thing Mick's number/address is not in the phone book). He does allot of snow plow work.

Mojoreef
04/07/2003, 06:45 PM
Boomer I am perfectly innnocent. Just the facts man just the facts.

Like my granpappy used to say, when thiers a hole in the bucket your bound to loose a little water.:D

Mike

Boomer
04/07/2003, 08:17 PM
....but I think the bottom is missing on his bucket:D

Bomber
04/07/2003, 09:27 PM
Lord have mercy. I keep saying bacteria and everyone else keeps saying metals. Since this whole metal thing started you can't get a word in edgewise.

mridgep
04/07/2003, 10:06 PM
I read the whole thing. It is sad that most of the people on that thread were so intent on bashing the DSB's that the thread was borderline pathetic. They were so encouraged in each others babble that they started throwing out statements on processes they didn't obviously didn't understand ( redox, marine sediment, and marine chemistry ). How does that help anyone? I can't believe I'm this upset over marine chemistry.

I am not biased on the DSB or other methods. I don't even have a tank right now. I just don't like when people mislead others or strew information they don't know or know to be false.

This is a proud moment for me as it is my first rant. : )

Matthew P. Ridge

Bomber
04/08/2003, 07:41 AM
Matthew,

I have a great idea. Instead of complaining, why don't to join the thread and post what you know? That way you can turn the thread from pathetic to a conversation.

I just don't like when people mislead others or strew information they don't know or know to be false.

Other than complaining, you haven't adding anything. If you would, feel free to join in. No one over there will flame you one way or the other and I'm sure they would welcome your input.

The forum is called "the think tank", it's supposed to make people "think" and discuss these things.

matt-davis sq.
04/08/2003, 12:48 PM
Bomber,

Yes, I totally saw that, and I also totally thought I had responded. But of course, I didn't. Oops.

Anyhow, I had to ask my father if he knew any of those people. My father had a cousin Terry, son of Norman Litman I believe, who passed away a few years ago. He's still trying to figure out the connection to Mickey, as it might be pretty distant. Nonetheless, he was happy to hear all about it, and it really is a small world.

Sorry for not responding earlier,

matt-davis sq.
04/08/2003, 12:53 PM
Okay, I just posted, and I need to make the following corrections.

1. My previous post in this thread should be addressed to Boomer and not Bomber

2. I am Matt, not the Matthew fellow who posted the rant.

3. I was always talking about microorganisms and not metals, just in case that got muttled up too.

4. We're a bit brighter here over at RC:lol:, and everyone here always know what (no more than two out of three of) the following terms mean: redox, marine sediment, and marine chemistry;)

Thank you, and have a nice day. Now back to your original programming,

Matt:lol: