PDA

View Full Version : LIve rock vs agragonite dry stuff??

witness_creation
03/05/2001, 11:57 PM
Yet another que. Rocks..... are all rocks equal?

I have this need for a perscription of rock....
could I use this rock from salt solutions web site
http://www.salt-solutions.com/salt_sand.htm#sand

CARIB 00350 CaribSea Aragonite "Reef Rock" 50 lb. Box
Pure aragonite rock. Average 25 to 35 rocks per box. 3 lb. to 10 lb. sizes. Perfect for base rock, or to culture into live rock.

Is this a good Idea?? Would there be any benifit to getting this "reef rock" that is not living? I do have some live rock already.
My pocket book and penny pinchin' fingers are ithchen to save a few more denaros.
What do you think.
Wha are the benifits and draw backs from what you see.

Can't I just Get that rock to become living??? like starting a sand bed??

What or how would you recomend me starting this rock to become "live" if I do purchase it.

Thank you so much for your insight

Lon

cwa46
03/06/2001, 03:50 AM
I have experimented with homemade rock as well as dead rock. I always keep an eye out for bleached coral pieces that somebody is getting rid of. You can put them in you tank and after a while they will become live if you have some existing live rock. They will go through a period of algae and then slowly begin to pick up coralline algae and critters. It is slower than buying cured rock but it works. If you go to GARF they have instructions on how to make rock. Also they show you how to set it up in a separate tank to grow the coralline algae on it prior to putting it into you main tank. Good luck.