PDA

View Full Version : Help ID this Anemone

seandanekind
04/04/2003, 10:32 AM
I got this guy over a year ago when I bought a whole setup from someone. Shortly after I got him, he started crawling all over the tank. While he was crawling, he turned all white. Now he barely opens up.

What kind of anemone is this?

I want to make sure to feed hime the right foods and get him healthy again.

http://www.aquaticsandexotics.com/images/cas_clowns.jpg

seandanekind
04/04/2003, 10:32 AM
FYI - that pic is about a year old...

mcco0391
04/04/2003, 10:39 AM
Looks like a bubble tip anemone. Are the clowns bothering it to much? The bubble tips usualy like to sit in crevices. I feed my anemones mysis shrimp, some people feed theirs whole shrimp. If the perculas are bothering the anemone to much pull them them out for a while so the anemone can become adjusted.:(

seandanekind
04/04/2003, 11:05 AM
Actually, I forgot to mention that I have since moved the clowns into another tank.

The anemone is in a 37 gal with some peppermint shrimp, a coral bended shrimp, a small bulldozer lobster, and a bunch of snails.

The tank had a 55W PC (10K) and a 20W NO Actinic.

I try to feed him small frozen (thawed) shrimp and krill.

The anemone has actually started moving again, but he still doesn't look too good IMO. All white and his tentacles barely extend beyond his body.

intekhab
04/04/2003, 11:30 AM
peppermint shrimp

Often bad news for Anemone. In the ocean, P.S. usually hunts for a type of anemone (called Aiptasia). Many reefers uses them to control Aiptasia in their aquarium. I have seen Peppermint shrimp not only steal from anemone's mouth, but also bother them when it has nothing. I wouldn't be surprise if your PS bugging the heck out of that anemone. Clown in fact do more good than bad for anemone.

On a different note, make sure your Nitrate level is low. Although many corals can handle high Nitrate, Anemone and High nitrate is not a good combination. If anemone is moving quite a bit, chances are light is not enough. If you can't move her to a MH setup, then place it to the top to a nice rock (with lots of crevices) :D

seandanekind
04/04/2003, 02:32 PM
That's exactly why I had the peppermint shrimp!!!

I've watched, and they don't go near the anemone whn I'm there. He was also not doing too well for 1/2 a year before I put the shrimp in to the tank. Still, they may be harassing him, so I'll try moving them into my other tank...

He originally settled into the little cave in the picture about a year ago. Then he started shrinking and losing color. I've recently moved the rock just to see if he would move, and so far he's moved about an inch in the last 3 weeks.

He's currently about 5 inches below the 55W PC bulb. For a short while I tried putting him into my 200 with 250W halides, and he didn't to any better...

I'll put a current picture up later tonight or tomorrow.

barristan
04/04/2003, 04:18 PM
You need more light!! The 55w pc is not enough. Either get VHO, metal halide or overdrive your PC or NO.

seandanekind
04/04/2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by seandanekind
For a short while I tried putting him into my 200 with 250W halides, and he didn't to any better...[/B]

He was directly under a 250W Ushio 10K HQI for about 3 months... and no luck.

When I got him he was under the same setup I have now (a 55W PC and a 20W Actinic) and was doing well.