PDA

View Full Version : Xenia advise

SLOANMAN
04/03/2003, 09:33 PM
i have had a patch of Xenia (pulsing)in my reef for about 2years now. its about the size of a small basketball,and for the last week the stalks on the outer rim look as if there dying.and one of the stalks is skinny at the bottom and really fat at the top. everthing else in the seems to be fine. tests turn up ok.
CONFUSED.

buggle
04/03/2003, 10:00 PM
my xenia are doing pretty much the same thing. They were perfect and now are acting weird. Tentacles all curled up and stalk all bloated then go to all shriveled up!! Must be in the air...
sorry couldn't help. just wanted to tag along to find out more

iCam
04/03/2003, 10:09 PM
Mine have done that before as well. Mine are all back to normal now though. Maybe it's just like coral PMS? Xenia seem to do weird crap like that :p

flaunt
04/03/2003, 10:20 PM
have you changed your feeding schedule? i stopped feeding my corals for 2 months and everything sort of shrivelled, but *especially* the xenia... i lost one species completely and the other almost disappeared. i began feeding live phytoplankton again several weeks ago and since then everything has been looking much better and the xenia is about 75% recovered.

iCam
04/03/2003, 10:25 PM
I have always heard/read that xenia feed purely on nutrients in the water...unless the phyto is breaking down into nutrients..I don't know.

SLOANMAN
04/03/2003, 10:27 PM
just alittle iodine. you think live plankton would be better for them?