PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer for a 60 Gallon

berger034
04/01/2003, 05:14 PM
What would you guys suggest for a 60 gallon reef? i would like to run a prizm but someone was telling me that a excalibur was the hottness.
Thanks
paul

could i run a pc for acros and clams?

tommy98016
04/01/2003, 05:33 PM
Are you looking for a HOB or an insump skimmer ? If you are looking for a HOB I recommend a Remora pro w/a mag pump and surface skimmer box. IMO the best available....plug in and play
Tom

Mr James
04/01/2003, 05:36 PM
I don't know if "hottness" is the latest trend in cool words?!? I have an Excalibur hong-on model on my 20g SPS tank and am fairly happy with it. If I had to do it all over again, I would go for a Remora Pro. As far as a sump model, I would go for a MR-1, which is a My Reef skimmer. Here is his website: http://www.myreefcreations.com I plan to run a MR-2 or 3 on a new 240g I am in the process of setting up.

As for your lighting question, PC's are not good enough for clams and acro's. This is my opinion. Some folks on this board swear by PC's, while others strictly use metal halide. I use a 250w, 65k metal halide accented by 2 x 32w pc actinics. I encourage you to use the search feature regarding both "skimmer" and "lights", you'll get hundreds of pages of useful reading.