PDA

View Full Version : Phyto- live or dead?

Evergreen
04/01/2003, 12:17 PM
I have been reading about curing live rock using Phyto and i am getting my first shipment of LR this Friday (woohoo!) The rock is Walt smith "precured" so i understand about it needing to be cured the rest of the way, but since the tank is currently empty it will happen in the tank.
My question is, should i order the DT's Phyto which is alive, or is the Kent marine brand "dead" phyto good enough? what do you think? The prices are similar although I think i can buy the Kents locally where the DT i will have to mail order and can be a pain to find. The Kent i can also order more bulk quantity at a time since it has a long shelf life.
This may be a question for advanced or normal reef discussion but i thought it would get good views here , also since i am new to Live rock!

NorthCoast
04/01/2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Evergreen
My question is, should i order the DT's Phyto which is alive, or is the Kent marine brand "dead" phyto good enough? what do you think?

Neither is needed to cure live rock so save your money. It is used to feed corals, etc. Just sit back, enjoy the LR and let Mother Nature do her thing! :)

SAT
04/01/2003, 06:58 PM
NorthCoast is right. However, there is a current post in the Advanced forum about using phyto to accelerate the curing. If you decide to do that, make sure it's live phyto (e.g., DT's), not the frozen or dried stuff. Using live phyto won't hurt anything... at worst it's a waste of money.