PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Repaired X-10 Appliance Modules?

electric130
03/29/2003, 10:50 PM
I have a couple X-10 appliance modules (3-prong outlet) that have stopped working. I was wondering if anyone has messed around with trying to repair these? Also wondering if they're worth it. I'm wondering if doing the SSR changeover would fix them (solid state relay). Any advice/experience/help is appreciated.

tentacle
03/30/2003, 02:02 AM
Hi J.R.,

I use a bunch of grounded X-10 modules, and have not had one go out on me yet and also know nothing about attempting to repair one, so I can't help you, but I thought I'd bump this up for you.

FWIW I also use a few of the ungrounded 2-pronged lamp modules, and a transceiver module, and did have the transceiver module go out on me last year, and I called X-10 and they sent a new one out free of charge. They normally want the defective one back, but the guy I dealt with said "don't worry about it". So my impression of them is that they will work to make things right. You may want to give them a holer and see if they will replace them.

electric130
03/30/2003, 10:04 AM
cool, thanks Frank, do you you have the number you called?

SPasse
03/30/2003, 10:27 AM
electric130,

The most common failure that I have seen in appliance modules is that the relay deforms from heat and “sticks� in whatever position it was last in.

This happens a lot when appliance modules are use for short duty cycle applications such as for a wavemaker. They were not designed to be activated and de-activated continuously at short intervals as the relay overheats.

The solid-state modification is an excellent Idea if you want to use appliance modules for short interval, continuous duty cycle use.

Regards,

Scott

singerk
03/30/2003, 10:39 AM
The solid-state modification is an excellent Idea if you want to use appliance modules for short interval, continuous duty cycle use. Would the modification be worthwhile if the cycle was say twice per hour ie. I use it for cycling a reactor mixing pump for 15 min on every 60 min?

SPasse
03/30/2003, 10:44 AM
Singerk,

Would the modification be worthwhile if the cycle was say twice per hour ie. I use it for cycling a reactor mixing pump for 15 min on every 60 min?

No, this duty cycle should not cause any significant heating. The relay in these controllers is a latching relay, it only takes energy, to change it’s state, not to keep it activated or de-activated.

Regards,

Scott

singerk
03/30/2003, 12:00 PM
Thanks Scott

electric130 , You can try their 800 number on their website, I tried a year ago and was told to email tech support.

electric130
03/30/2003, 02:08 PM
thanks for the replys. the only thing i use the x-10's for is to control my lighting. so they're not switch enough to cause any heat problems.

tentacle
03/31/2003, 02:21 PM
Hey J.R.,

Call (800) 675-3044 and ask for Sara Ferong at ext. 356.

electric130
03/31/2003, 05:47 PM
great, thanks.