PDA

View Full Version : Best lighting for my 150 gallon?

JT1023
03/26/2003, 01:30 PM
I just got a used 150 AGA and have already built a stand for it, and want to build the matching canopy next week. I need to decide what type of lighting i am gonna use before i build it. I only want to keep fish, shrimps, crabs, and some soft corals. My tank is 72"x18"x28"deep. Should i go with VHO, PC, or MH, and what setup should i use(how many bulbs, what wattage)?
If they would all work, which would be my cheapest option? I am a college student who has an expensive hobby..........Any replies are greatly appreciated.

rvitko
03/26/2003, 01:59 PM
I would consider a DIY Ice Cap setup with T-5's. Whatever you do keep a perspective on long term economy- for me this would absolutely rule out PC's. I would also consider 2 150w HQI pendants with 10k lamps. Like I said you can use a credit card and bite the bullet on the upfront expense and you will save electricity and expensive lamp replacements in time.

JT1023
03/26/2003, 02:02 PM
How much would that cost me, with bulbs and everything?.....also, i think i read somewhere that i would need 3 pendants for the length of my tank?

thanks

rvitko
03/26/2003, 02:21 PM
Each pendant generally has a 32" spread- factoring the goofy bracing that pretty much covers your tank. You can put mushrooms on the perimeters and do just fine. Cost is something you will have to investigate- for 8 4ft T-5 lamps I would figure a cost of $500 including ballasts, bulbs and caps, figuring you will have to build or buy a hood add $200. Two HQI 150w pendants between $600-$800 cost will be fairly equivalent. In both cases I would factor $160 every 18months for tubes or lamps.

The Lance
03/26/2003, 04:23 PM
Look up some threads on diy hqi lighting. With the depth of your tank, I would try doing two or three 250w hqi's. You can spread them out but you rum into problems on all-glass tanks with the center bracing. Good luck, The Lance

Peabody
03/26/2003, 05:19 PM
Agreed, 250 HQI MH would allow you to keep pretty much anything. Supplimented with VHO or T5 actinics would be nice.

By looking around the site you will see that most all people with reef tanks your size use MH, often supplimented with actinics.

rvitko
03/26/2003, 05:35 PM
My suggestion was based on what you proposed to keep, 250w is great for SPS but a bit much for softies in a 24" deep tank.

Peabody
03/26/2003, 08:07 PM
I didn't see that you plan doing softies. It you only want softies and nothing more ever then you would be fine with much less light. But, often we don't stay like that. :) Once I saw that nice Maxima clam and that spectacular acro head I just had to have, I upgraded my lights.

No worries about too much light for softies. I've seen people with softies right under 400watt halides in mixed tanks. As long as they are acclimated properly, they will be fine.

JT1023
03/27/2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, i really appreciate it. I have had a 29 and a 10 gallon for about 4 years now with only fish. I am familiar with all the types of corals, and i dont know why, but i am really only attracted to softies.....What would be the best lighting for the softies? VHO right? If this is true, i figure i would need 4 bulbs(72"), 110w each. Does this sound about right?.......and i know for a fact that i wont be keeping any hard coral.....also, i checked out hellolights.com, and they had a VHO setup exactly like i described above for $309 without the bulbs.......is that a good deal if thats what i should be getting......thankyou again for the responses.....

Jeff