PDA

View Full Version : Can you ID this

halmast
03/24/2003, 11:17 PM
I found four of these things growing on my live rock.

Do you have any idea what they are?

thank you

halmast
03/24/2003, 11:23 PM
Here is an additional picture with less magnification. I would say that this thing is about a half inch in diameter

halmast
03/24/2003, 11:24 PM
Sorry: the pix was left out

zenya
03/25/2003, 08:30 AM
halmast,

I took a liberty to try and enhance your pic and hope you don't mind, it was hard to tell from the pic being somewhat fuzzy:)

BTW,I'm not sure what it is,could be some sort of sponge but I'd wait for Dr.Ron's verdict.

halmast
03/25/2003, 09:57 AM
thanks for making the picture sharper. Hopefully Dr. Ron can ID this

rshimek
03/25/2003, 11:19 AM
Hi Gene, [thanks].

Like you, my guess is that they are sponges.

Hi Halmast,

I am not certain of that identification, however. If you can get some images from other angles or of other individuals, it would help a bit.

:D

halmast
03/25/2003, 12:07 PM
thanks Dr. Ron. I will try to get additional pixs for you. As I think about it, they started to appear when I started feeding the tank microplankton.

Harold

zenya
03/25/2003, 02:39 PM
Dr.Ron,

Since we are talking sponges,I have few of the sponges that starting to appear on my rocks:D . My question would be, is this a good sign or do I have to worry about my nutrient export methods?
Here's the pic of one that is appearing in a few spots.

zenya
03/25/2003, 02:43 PM
I think this yellow mass is a sponge as well. I do feed pretty heavy with phytoplankton and GP's and some other mush... but had no problems with the nitrates or phosphate building up.I just wonder if it's thanks to the dsb and this sponges and I think I may have some tunicates as well,can't photograph them as they're way in the back..

Greg Rob.
03/25/2003, 04:07 PM
I have a variety of sponges, yellow, purple, even white. I have always believed it is just a part of the overall diversity, and a healthy one at that. My sponges appeared before I started feeding zooplankton, perhaps they effectively feeding on bacteria as well as planktons. Greg.:p

rshimek
03/26/2003, 10:52 AM
Hi Gene,

Your two images are of sponges. You can find some information about sponges in these two articles I have written, here (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/jan/wb/default.asp) and here. (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/feb/wb/default.asp)

I agree with Greg, they are normal components of the reef community and assist in nutrient balancing and recycling in our systems.

zenya
03/26/2003, 11:54 AM
This is great Dr.Ron. Thank you for the links,this is sort of articles I've been looking for

:)

rshimek
03/26/2003, 05:54 PM
Hi Gene,

For other articles, I have a page on my website (www.rshimek.com) that lists links to most of my online articles arranged by subject.

You might be able to find something there in the future if you want it.