PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my lighting!

reefer240
03/22/2003, 09:30 AM
Hi everyone,
After talking to a few of you here, I have decided to upgrade my lighting. I have a 92 gallon corner tank, currently with only 96w PC (1). I'm having to have a hood built because of the odd shape of the tank. Then we'll add 250 w MH 10,000k and my current 96w PC to the hood. (Using my current PC will save me about 110.00!) I'm spending a good bit of cash on this, but it's a custom job (woodworking) and I know it will look good, as I have seen this guy's work. Another thing, I'm glad the PC didn't turn out to be a total waste, I only bought it about 6-8 weeks ago.

Now question time: :confused: As the fixture is going to be designed to sit on the aquarium, how do I acclimate my current softies to the new light? Just move them to the bottom? Currently they range from 6-12 inches off the bottom of this 22-23 inch deep tank.

Oh! the ballast will have an integrated timer! yippee! Sorry, I'm just so excited.

thanks, Lee:D

aquaman67
03/22/2003, 09:41 AM
Sorry I can't help on your question. We will see some pics soon, right?

wizardgus®
03/22/2003, 09:45 AM
If moving them down isn't too much of a hassle that is certainly an option. Some other methods are to lessen the photo period and increase it a little each week until you get to your desired time. Also you can use eggcrate in multiple layers to diffuse the light, removing a piece each week until you are up to full intensity. From what I've read, the very best is to have lights come on for an hour, then off for an hour and slowly work up. This would be a real PITA unless your timer allows mulitple on-off cycles per day.

I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions.

brianlena2000
03/22/2003, 12:27 PM
Hi reefer240,

When I upgraded my lighting I just cut way back on the photo period. Starting off with just a few hours a day and then built it back up to normal. For new corals it is easiest just to start them at the bottom of the tank.

Hope that helps!

Brian

:smokin:

reefer240
03/22/2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.