PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good LFS

BoomerD
03/21/2003, 11:27 PM
I live in Modesto, and am looking for a few decent LFS's to partonize. I don't like to order livestock unseen, and have had the occasional problem with air freight in the past. how about some recommendations from you who live in the Bay area? I work in Richmond, so hayward & San Leandro are fairly easy for me, and the rest is accessible on the weekends.
Thanks

Tenner
03/21/2003, 11:55 PM
There are lots of LFS in the Bay Area...

Tropical Paradise
Aquarium Concepts
Great Bay Aquarium
Lucky Gold Fish
The Aquarium
Nippon
6th Street Aquarium
T & T

There are many others also, sorry I can't remember all of them off the top of my head. At one time someone had a list of all the stores in our area and addresses..etc. If someone could point me to that list, I will post it on our site.

Thanks
Matthew

RustySnail
03/22/2003, 02:01 AM
BoomerD-

Give "All About Fish" in Pacheco (Martinez) a try. They are on your way home from Richmond to Modesto; Just take the Pacheco Blvd exit from Hwy4 East and turn right. Go down Pacheco blvd about 1 mile. You will see the sign for their store on the left; they are behind the Kragen Auto Parts.

You might also try "The Aquarium" in Concord, located behind the TowerRecords/The Good Guys shopping center.

Of course; there is Tropical Paradise, Aquarium Concepts and Great Bay Aquarium, all located in SanLeandro/Hayward area.

HTH...

Russ

BoomerD
03/22/2003, 02:08 AM
I know from years gone by that there were a bunch of LFS's there, I used to deal a bit in Discus & angel fish. Some stores were good, some not-so-good. I hit Aquarium Concepts today. Looked pretty good, but there were quite a few fish flashing in the display tanks. Not necessarilly a bad sign, but enough to raise my eyebrows a bit. I did pick up a couple dozen snails. Overall, a nicely set-up store, with a wide variety of quality merchandise and decent fish.
Didn't see Tropical Paradise in the Hayward phone bookwhen I looked, and didn't know for sure where they were. They were one I wanted to visit. heard good things about them. I try to stay out of S.F. in normal times, and with the protesting, Uh-Uh, ain't going there! There used to be a fairly nice store somewhere in Albany, have been to The Aquarium in Concord many years ago, seemed o.k.
The few stores here in Modesto are not too great. Many dead or flashing fish, poorly trained and unknowledgeable sales crews, poor selection.

Tenner
03/22/2003, 10:53 AM
You can find Tropical Paradise info at www.gotpa.com

Also, I heard from everyone at the meeting this week that Lucky Goldfish was moving, so beware if you try Oakland, that you get their new address. They are no longer on 9th and Broadway.

Good Luck
Matthew

hoopscity
04/01/2003, 08:52 PM
There's a rather new store in Milpitas, called Aquatic Gallery off of mlipitas blvd that just opened up a couple of months ago that i visited last friday. It is now my new favorite LFS! TP is still great, but given that I live in the south bay, this place is much closer. I think they have as much stock as TP does, but in much less space. Very nicely run, prices are quite reasonable. and the owner is willing to deal... I picked up a bunch of stuff that night of course :D Got my self a couple of cleaners, a nice medium sized neon green acro and a bunch of scarlet hermits!

woot! woot! cheers to aquatic gallery for opening a store in the dirty souf!!!

BoomerD
04/01/2003, 11:59 PM
Hoops, I agree. Aq. Gallery is a wonderful place. The owner seems to be a good fellow too. Clean store, healthy looking fish, decent variety.

73ChargerFan
04/02/2003, 12:45 PM
Is Great Bay the new LFS in San Leandro?

cal3v
04/02/2003, 11:46 PM
Hi yes great bay is the new one in san leandro. I plan to check it out sometime.

BoomerD
04/03/2003, 09:18 PM
Where is Great Bay located?
thanks.

cal3v
04/03/2003, 09:23 PM
hth: http://greatbayaquarium.com/

BoomerD
04/06/2003, 12:00 AM
Just up the road from TP. Way cool.
Thanks!

cal3v
04/07/2003, 02:04 AM
I also recommend Aquatic Gallery. Good prices, Bao (the owner) is real cool and knowledgeable and always willing to give good advice. I went there at the grand opening and now that things have settled the tanks look real nice and the fish and corals are all very healthy, not to mention at good prices.

BoomerD
04/07/2003, 07:09 PM
Been there & met the good Dr. Le. Very nice store. Prices not out of line with other bay area stores. He will get more of my business.

cal3v
04/07/2003, 07:26 PM
Oh and he had an awesome yellow dwarf fuzzy lion that was already sold, but it was for an amazing price. Also he is very much willing to deal if you buy a few things.

Jimco
04/08/2003, 12:07 AM
http://www.geocities.com/LFSinSFO/Lfs.html

BoomerD
04/11/2003, 08:18 PM
Way cool Jim. Thanks!

Jimco
04/11/2003, 11:03 PM
:)