PDA

View Full Version : Sqwd

BCooksey
03/19/2003, 09:09 PM
Anybody else get a SQWD yet? I got mine from Marine Oasis a while back. It's pretty cool. I think it would be better in a closed loop setup rather than the main return. There is a some flow reduction. Overall I think its great for the price.

ri
03/19/2003, 09:22 PM
I almost picked up a unit tonight while at Marine Oasis. I'm waiting to hear from folks once the unit has been in service for 12+ months. How long have you owned the product? Any problems? The unit looks to be sealed...what about cleaning?

Someone on RC posted a blurb indicating that there may be a 1" version due out sometime later this year. I would like to see a unit with the outputs in line with the input rather than at right angles.

ri

BCooksey
03/19/2003, 09:48 PM
I installed it a couple months ago I think, brain lapse. I haven't had any problem with it. It is a sealed unit that can be used internal, or external like mine is. I'll pull it out every once in a while to soak it in vinegar. I heard about the 1" version too. I'll probably upgrade when it comes out. There is also talk about a version that connects to pvc instead of vinyl tube, that would be really nice.

_ShotgunShrimp_
03/19/2003, 11:12 PM
the fine print on the box also says should only be run with filtered water... so any chunks get into it yer doing some work to clean it

RandyO
03/20/2003, 01:50 AM
I have had one set up since January. Still going strong. Have not cleaned it yet. I do have a sponge on the return pump to block larger particles. I believe they recommend cleaning it every 6 months.
IMO, for the price, you can't beat it.
For someone on a budget, that would like a surge device on a 120 RR tank, for the extra 40.00, its great. Just hook it up to a single mag drive pump with a pre-filter, and it T's off to the internal return lines. All you have in the tank is the lock lines. It makes the tank clutter free.
Again, Just my opinion.

RandyO
03/20/2003, 01:54 AM
I just ordered a second one for my 54 corner bow tank. I ordered some lock line as well. I will try to fit this one in one AGA overflow. I will try it submeged to see if it works just as good as it does externally.

ri
03/20/2003, 06:46 AM
RandyO

Fitting the SQWD into the AGA overflow chamber is what I was thinking about doing. That is also why I would like to see a unit with inline input and outputs! If you manage to get everything in place, post a few pics... I need another job to add to my "to-do" list!

ri

RandyO
03/20/2003, 02:29 PM
Ri,
No problem. If it fits, I'll post some pic's. I have all the lock line and fittings, I am just waiting for the SQUID. They were out of stock.

RandyO
03/20/2003, 02:31 PM
Also, Does anyone know where to get schedule 26 pcv pipe? I stopped in Home Depot and they only had schedule 40.

ReeferMac
03/20/2003, 03:44 PM
Sch26?!??! Never heard of such a thing? I know there's 40 and 80, but... that's a new one on me.

- Mac

ri
03/20/2003, 04:16 PM
RandyO: Is schedule 26 the thinwall stuff used in the AGA overflow? If yes, I have some of the 1"... just picked it up at the Chase Pitken in Brockport. Cost about $2 for 10 feet.

ri

RandyO
03/21/2003, 01:08 AM
Ri,
I am not sure what it is. I was just going by Rich Durso's web site. He recommends schedule 26 over 40 because it is thinner and drains better. I was looking for 1.25'' pvc for my AGA overflow. But thanks for the offer on the 1'' stuff.

ri
03/21/2003, 06:43 AM
RandyO: The stuff I got is not much thicker than a two credit cards. It does not say schedule 26 (or 40 or 80...).

ri

rcarrington
03/28/2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by RandyO
Ri,
No problem. If it fits, I'll post some pic's. I have all the lock line and fittings, I am just waiting for the SQUID. They were out of stock.

Any pictures yet? I would love to see the SQUID on a 54.

Also, what kind of return pump are you using?

Thanks,
Ryan

oceanarus
03/28/2003, 12:20 PM
I would like to know as well. I plan on trying to put one in the overflow of my AGA 72 gallon bowfront when I convert it over to a reef.

RandyO
03/28/2003, 01:00 PM
I just received the new SQUID. It is going to be harder than I thought. The SQUID has to use 3/4'' hose to attcah to the device. That means extra hose barb fittings and more room to take up. My original plan was to have the SQUID at the height of the current right angle elbow. Then, I could just shoot over one return into the tank without any other fittings. Just the lock line. The other side would need a 90 elbow and then I was all set. But with the extra hose barb fittings it's going to be tight.
If I can't fit it in the overflow, I will have it 3 or 4 inches above the top of the tank. That way, I will have more room for the hose barbs.
I will work on it this weekend and post some pic's.
Randy

RandyO
03/28/2003, 01:06 PM
Ryan,
The return pump is a Little Giant 4 MDQX. It has a lot of head on it since it is coming from the basement and up a floor. About 10 feet of head pressure. But the flow is strong in the tank. Maybe 500-600 GPH.

_ShotgunShrimp_
03/28/2003, 01:36 PM
why not just shorten the existing pipe (it is only pvc:) and add your barb lower id also look into glueing locline directly to the unit? possibly pvc glue?

RandyO
03/28/2003, 02:29 PM
Not a bad idea Shotgun. I can cut the SQUID to fit. I don't want to glue the lockline to the SQUID because it will have to be cleaned out every once in a while. I wanted to make it easy to dis-assemble.

RandyO
03/28/2003, 02:29 PM
Not a bad idea Shotgun. I can cut the SQUID to fit. I don't want to glue the lockline to the SQUID because it will have to be cleaned out every once in a while. I wanted to make it easy to dis-assemble.

rcarrington
03/28/2003, 04:03 PM
you probably already knew this, but just FYI, that elbow has the anti-syphon hole in it. So if you decid to cut this out, you'll need another method of preventing backwards syphon (?) when the return pump stops.

Ryan

RandyO
03/29/2003, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up Ryan. I did know that. I would just make sure the lock line does not go too deep into the tank. The sump can hold 120 gallons, so as long as the inhabitants of the tank do not stick out of the water, it should be ok.

Also, I get some salt spray out of that hole, so it won't be missed.

rcarrington
03/29/2003, 11:05 AM
120g sump!! Ohh the joy of pumbing into the basement. For that matter, the joy of HAVING a basement!

Ryan

RandyO
04/09/2003, 01:49 AM
Finished the SQUD in the AllGlass overflow. I took shotgun's suggestions and cut half the ends of the hose barbs off. I thought about cutting the SQUD but it only has one barb. It fits better than I thought. Although, I did loose some flow from the SQUD Tee and one 90 elbow. But not too bad. Here's a couple pics.
http://users.adelphia.net/~randyolszewski/images/Tanks_April_2003_SQUD_installed.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~randyolszewski/images/Tanks_April_2003_corner.jpg

oceanarus
04/09/2003, 02:06 AM
Verry Nice RandyO,

What size pump are you using for your return?

RandyO
04/09/2003, 02:34 AM
Pump is a little giant 4 MDQX. The sump is in the basement, so there is about 10 feet of head, with 2 90 elbows and a tee. So the head is really about 13'

Xwild
04/09/2003, 03:28 PM
Randy,
Outta curiousity, that's a 54g right? What lighting do you have on there?

Ted

RandyO
04/09/2003, 05:27 PM
Ted,
Yes, the tank is a 54. It has two 96w power compacts and two 28w? power compacts. I can never remember for sure if they are 28w or 32w. It is two Custom SeaLife black plastic fixtures. One 36'' and one 15'' fixture in the back.
I plan on getting rid of these lights. I have a MH fixture to go on this tank in the future.