PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Angle and a Carpet Anemone

Reefkeeper
03/19/2003, 12:56 PM
I just recieved my blue carpet last Saturday. It seems to be doing good. When it came in it was the size of a sand dollar. Within a couple hours after being introduced in the the tank it inflated it self to about 12" across and the foot was about the size of a sand dollar. The stalk was about 4 inches tall.

What I'm worried about is I have an Juvi Emperor angle that is the king of the tank, and on Monday evening I noticed the Emperor picking at the mouth of the carpet. It was picking rough enough to jerk the carpet. It never ripped the mouth of the carpet and the carpet never closed up. not even a little.

On Tuesday, I had noticed that the carpet had leaned over on its side exposing the bottom of the foot, and the Emperor was picking on the bottom of the foot. Once again the Carpet never closed up. Not even a little.

I'm not sure if the Emperor is trying to eat the carpet or it is just cleaning it. I would also think the carpet would try to close up to protect itself if it thought it was in danger.

Anyone have an opinion on the subject?
Thanks

miamidolphins
03/19/2003, 01:06 PM
I have a large saddle with an emperator, he never bothers the saddle however my pearlescale butterfly has been doing the same thing that you mentioned to the anemone

catinhat
03/19/2003, 02:07 PM
Not sure about the angel but I have a purple tang that likes to "taste" what ever my carpet spews out. Never picking at the mouth just grabs whatever is coming out. If the carpet's foot is exposed and falling over I'd say at best it is not happy. I've never seen my carpet close up very much even when messed with. I hear that they can pull themselves under the sand completely.

MarinaP
03/19/2003, 02:16 PM
I had an adult Emperor w/multiple carpets in a large tank. After he ate two of the anemones, he got exiled to another tank. No doubt in my mind he is trying to eat your anemone. Interestingly, he never bothered my Ritteri.