PDA

View Full Version : Tank Crash question

cadan24
03/19/2003, 02:25 AM
I returned from vacation after a week of having a friend watch my tank to notice that all my SPS, zoo's, and softies were sucked up and extremely upset. My Xenia was dead, so I removed it from the tank.

I investigated the source of the problem, since before I left everything was perfect and I have been growing and propigating both my SPS and Zooanthids for about a year.

I discovered that My Naso Tang was dead, and appeared to have been dead for a few days. I removed my fish (a prized friend) and also removed a fancy red brittle star that had passed.

I presume that the death of my fish shot my nitrates high enough to be toxic, so I have been doing water changes, and the water had cleared up and the remaining fish seem to be happy again.

My question is, What is the actual chance that my SPS will come back and my zoo's will open. It's been about three days, and everything is still closed up. Should I just take all my beautiful animals that I once grew and propigated out, and throw them away? Or hope that once the water is stabilized they will return to their former glory?

Any input and knowledge to this issue would be appreciated as I am heartbroken by this tragic event.

Thank You, Dan

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :( :( :(

Dwayne
03/19/2003, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I would continue with your plan to change water and get parameters back within 'normal' range and stabilized.

As to the corals, "If they aren't alga sticks, they may come back." I would give them time to recover. Keep a close on eye on them for obvious signs of decline and frag if necessary.

Hope things get better for ya.

Dwayne

Wilafur
03/19/2003, 02:23 PM
i'd give it some time before giving up on the corals. a little tlc can cure it all. as dwayne stated, as longs as the sps aren't algae sticks you are fine.

do the water changes and take it from there.

did you find out what caused the naso to die?

cadan24
03/19/2003, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I have no idea why the Naso Died. My other fish are starting to do OK, and I am going to do antoher water change today. Some of my smaller zoo's opened up but only like 3 or 4 polyps out of hundreds. Anyway, I will keep on changinh the water and hoping for signs of life.

Thanks, Dan