PDA

View Full Version : New BTA won't settle down. HELP

reefy em
03/17/2003, 12:56 PM
I got a new BTA two weeks ago for my 20gal tank. Since then, he has not stopped wandering around. He eats readily every time I feed him krill and mysis every two days. I have read that these like to move around and like to be in crevices in the live rock. I have rearranged and rearranged to make him a nice little home but he'll stay there for a few hours or maybe a day at the most and then completely detach and go towards the back of the tank. All of my water parameters are perfect (haven't checked phosphates) and my lighting is sufficient (70W) and there isn't anything around him to bother him. My clown hasn't had an interest in him yet, but I don't think that would hamper his finding a spot. What can I do?? If you have a BTA, where did your's park himself? In a crevice, on the bottom? I don't want to be one of those people who kills anemones. Help me :confused:

BonsaiNut
03/17/2003, 04:19 PM
Try getting a small clay flowerpot from your garden center (not kidding). Make sure it is plain terra cotta without any glaze or paint. Stick it at the bottom of your tank on its side, half out of the sand (if you have any sand). If you have a bare bottom tank, try cutting the pot in half with a band saw or jig saw, and placing the pot on its side. Place live rock on the sides and top of the pot. Direct water current so it blows PAST the front of the pot without blowing into the pot. Stick your anemone into the pot and see if it stays. It should attach its base to the back of the pot and project its tentacles out towards the current. I'd give you a good chance using this approach.

reefy em
03/17/2003, 04:35 PM
I actually did have a small flower pot in there while he was doing all of this. It was on it's side about 1/4 the way buried in the gravel. He went in it but was sideways in it, not stuck to anything, dying I'm sure. I took it out so I could rearrange the rocks easier. Do you have a BTA that this has worked with? I may put my pot back in there.

crazyfishlady
03/17/2003, 11:32 PM
Mine readily attached to a bottom edge of ledge that I created as a small cave. It is a small cave about 2" wide that is covered by a larger flat bottomed rock. The flat bottom rock forms a ledge over the crack. I stuck it near there and it attached within a half hour.

I am so sorry. If it doesn't make it, don't take it completely personally if you know your H2O is good. It may have been doomed from the start by poor collection and transportation. :(

Good Luck.
Erika

reefy em
03/18/2003, 12:38 AM
Thanks

He was "bleached" when I got him. Didn't know better until now. He has gotten some brown algae in him and is not white anymore. How close is yours to the light? I've read that they do not like strong, direct light.

He let go and drifted around again today. Caught him and placed him in a nook where he's stayed so far. He just won't stick his foot to something. I've had a flower anemone for about 7 months who's stayed in the same spot and is perfectly happy. So it's not that I can't keep anemones, just not the BTA :mad: