PDA

View Full Version : Zooanthids and SPS

CAreefer
03/16/2003, 01:39 PM
Hey all,
Im in the process of converting to mainly SPS. As with most beginners, when the tank was set up a few years ago, I added the usual mushrooms and Zooanthids. Now I want to go mainly SPS and the Zoo's have spread and covered almost a fourth of the tank. I have already lost a nice Tri color frag that tipped over and was barely touching with one branch and in a matter of a day, All tissue was lost. I didn't even have time to frag a branch. With the mushrooms, the euphylia frags I have been making and laying on them is working well. But not effective on the Zoos. Any Ideas on how to rid my tank of these things? They seem to be encrusting, but I really don't want to disassemble my reef to peel them off.

CAreefer
Pic with flash only, prior to lights coming on. Just to give you an idea of what I'm talkin about.
http://www.careefer.homestead.com/files/Zoos1.jpg

Jeff Littlefield
03/16/2003, 03:49 PM
I just recently had to rermove 3 large pieces of live rock that where coverd with zoo's they spread like wild fire after the MH went in. It was cool at first until they where competing for space with the SPS and winning. I still have some but I keep them in check with Habenero vinegar. Later Jeff

richo
03/17/2003, 03:38 AM
Jeff,

Care to elaborate on the Habenero Vinegar treatment? I forsee future zoo problems later on and I would like to know about any successful methods of controlling them. I did read a thread recently (yesterday in reef discussion) about a snail that feeds exclusively on zoos, but as I understand, they are difficult to obtain. - R

Jeff Littlefield
03/17/2003, 10:07 AM
You could probably use just straight white vinegar too, I was using vinegar alone to kill aptasia, then I steeped 2 cups with a sliced Hab for extra power, it worked good on the Zoo's too, I have a 125 and use up to 30 cc at a time two days in a row and then wait a week atleast b4 I do it again, use rubber gloves when hanling the Hab for sure, ohya just inject the center with a sirenge, Later Jeff