PDA

View Full Version : Advice on livestock choice on a 30 Gallon Tall Tank

coolcat310
03/16/2003, 03:48 AM
I just bought a 30 Gallon Tall Tank w/ Eclipse system w/ 36 w pc lighting.

I was thinking of having a FOWLR, but maybe some soft corals. My fish choice are two false perculas, one firefish goby, and one purple firefish goby.

My questions are.

1) Will my fish choice be comfortable enough in my tank? Too much, too little, able to add more fish, etc...

2) Will the filtration system be okay with a FOWLR? a few corals?

3) Could you recommend some soft corals I can have in my tank? Others have said mushrooms and some polyps. What else?

Thank you for any response.

coolcat310

Python73
03/16/2003, 03:56 AM
The only problem I have with the Eclipse hoods are they do not provide enough flow. You will struggle with cyano blooms. I'd look into hiding a power head in there or making a closed loop. I'm going through this with my 6g Eclipse, been fighting cyano for 6 months now.

The fish you have chosen are good sized fish for that tank. Not sure how the gobies get along with each other, I'll leave that for someone else. But the percs won't outgrow this tank, even a full grown pair would be fine in there.

36w PC is a bit slim for a deep tank. You could probably get star polyps to grow also, and maybe some xenia.

HTH.

S !

coolcat310
03/16/2003, 05:07 AM
Yeah, my lighting is kind of weak, but if I could find better lighting that's retrofitted for the hood, maybe I'll upgrade.

My purchase did come with two Eheim canister filters (2231 and 2233) being used as powerheads...

I was also thinking of adding a DSB and I read that southdown is the way to go, but unfortunately it's not available here in South West. What other alternatives are the next best thing? I remember reading something about DSB, but when I did a search, nothing came up.

This system also came with an uv sterilizer. I read that it will help in controlling algae, but will kill off both good and bad. I couldn't really find any information on this. Could anyone direct me to an article or website that talks more about uv sterilizers and the pros and cons of using it?

Thanks alot,

coolcat310

mistybellis
03/16/2003, 07:48 AM
I also have the 30g eclipse system. I currently have a percula clown and a coral beauty in my tank. They are both doing well. I would recommend getting some inverts - I have a cleaner shrimp who really helps my fish. I have been using the lighting system that came with the tank, and I also added 1 actinic (by lifting the back lid where the filter is up and adding a piece of glass over it and the tank opening, I just sat a light fixture on top of that. Star polyps are doing well and so are my mushrooms. I have a torch coral that is very questionable at the moment though.

You must weigh out what is more important to you. Keeping fish or keeping fish/corals. My husband and I are completely re-doing the eclipse tank. I just bought a 175W MH light to suspend above the tank (because we want corals to do well). I am also taking the entire filtration system off - with the expection of my protein skimmer. Oh yeah - you will really need a protein skimmer!!! Note: We had to tear out a portion of the back of the eclipse canopy to add the protein skimmer. I am going to add a power head for circulation as well.

Good luck with the tank. If you stick with FO and keep the eclipse canopy, may I recommend a product called Polyfilter to add to the filtration bed. It pulls all kinds of junk out of your tank (turns colors too, depending on what it pulls out). These filters are expensive at my LFS - so be careful that you are getting the right one (if you get them), not the cheap imitation.:mixed:

mistybellis
03/16/2003, 07:57 AM
Sorry my thoughts ran together up there.....I was just excited to know someone else is using the eclipse system. Let me know if I need to clarify anything for you. :lol:

coolcat310
03/16/2003, 03:33 PM
Could you possibly tell me what protein skimmer you have, and any other protein skimmer that will do minimum damage to my eclipse system? So if I go with a protein skimmer, I really wouldn't have any need for the Eclipse system, other than the lighting because I've read that all you need for filtration is a protein skimmer, DSB, and live rock? Hmmmm, maybe it's time to sell the Eclipse, hehehehe.

Will a sump be helpful? What exactly does it do?

Also for fish selection. What are a few fishes that are top dwellers, meaning they ussually swim on top that I could add with the perculas and firefish?

Thanks,

coolcat310

mistybellis
03/17/2003, 12:19 PM
I have the seaclone protein skimmer,which was doing great, until I decided to add a DSB. It doesn't seem to be pulling out much junk now, but perhaps that is because the DSB is doing its job. I can't add a picture, but my husband cut a hole out right behind where the intake tube of the filtration system is to place the skimmer. So - my protein skimmer, heater, and filtration tube are all on the same side. I really like the canopy that holds the filtration and lighting, and I dread seeing it go when I add my new light.

I don't know anything about top dwellers, but I just have to tell you that my little coral beauty is the life of my tank. It only gets to be about 4" (or so I have been told) and its coloration is awesome (deep purple and orange). He really likes to dart in and out through all of the rocks and he gets along well with my percula. He swims all around the tank.

I don't really know about a sump, but that seems like a big investment for a small tank (that's why I don't have one). I'm a newbie and haven't learned much about that yet. Hope I answered your questions.:D

kristin
03/17/2003, 12:53 PM
i think that you can only have one type of goby in your tank. they are peaceful except with their own species.

coolcat310
03/17/2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks mistybellis and kristin...

I'll look into the gobies, but can't you put a pair together? I'll also look into that protein skimmer.

Anyone else have advice on what sort of fish I should get, preferably top-swimmers.

Thanks,

Coolcat310

reelheel
03/17/2003, 03:11 PM
Coolcat, I agree with mistybellis, in that a sump is not imperative for your setup. I would however, get a quality hang-on protein skimmer. IME, Seaclone skimmers are not quality, and I would not fall into the trap of going with one just because its cheaper...trust me...I would, however, suggest a Remora hang-on (try Marinedepot.com)...they are great little skimmers.
I also would not add any more fish to your 30...even though they are small, four is plenty. If you would like some variety, go for singles instead of pairs...five might be a possibility if they are all really small; if you go with a dwarf angel (like mistybellis) then I would stick to only two...three at the most...BTW, firefish will suspend in the water column and remain in view most of the time once they are established..

HTH :rollface:

akabilly
03/17/2003, 06:15 PM
My Eclipse 3 so far is working out great, I replaced the stock bulbs with a 55w retro kit from Jallai 50% actinic and 50% white. With this set up I've been able to keep green striped mushrooms and yellow polyps and have considerable coraline algae growth nice pink and purple. I'm in the process of adding another 55w retro kit 50/50 this time a JBJ, on the secondary lid that covers the filter. The center space is 3"x29" just big enough to accomadate the additonal retro light. The lights run @ $65-$70. I would also recommend some power heads.

I also modified my hood to accept a sea clone, but have removed it cause it looked like **** and was too loud. I've been running skimmerless since last November.

TANK RESIDENTS:
Clown Goby
Black Molly (still evading capture)
5 Red Leg Hermits
2 Turbo
2 Astraea
1 Sally Light Foot
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Sand Sifting Starfish
1 Queen Conch
-
Colony Yellow Polyps
Colony Green Striped Mushrooms
Couple of Fan Worms

If you have any questions or recommendations let me know.