PDA

View Full Version : how to "encourage" an anemone to move

crazyfishlady
03/15/2003, 11:43 AM
I placed a BTA in my tank on Wednesday night. I put it in the place I wanted it to stay and it, of course, had other thoughts. Within 30 min, it wandered to the back of the rocks and attached.

It has opened up beautifully and my GSMs are THRILLED to have it. But, I can hardly see it. I have to stick head between the tank and the entertainment center to get a look OR turn off the return pump so that I can see from above.

The crevice that it has chosen goes through to the front of the tank also. What can I do to "encourage" it to move without too much stress?

The crevice/overhang is made of three rocks. I *think* it has attached to the top rock; so my first choice would be just to rotate the rock. Will this be real stressful? Or is there a better way ?
Erika

MJI
03/15/2003, 11:55 AM
Rotating the rock wouldn't be too stressfull - do it at night to prevent any photo-shock.

The other thing to do would be to position a powerhead close to it so it was too strong a current and would move, or the opposite, remove a powerhead for a while to create a "stale"area.

Nem's like ideal current, and this method has worked on may occasion.

crazyfishlady
03/15/2003, 10:24 PM
Rotated the rock and it didn't retract or anything...I think I am ok now. I guess I just have to wait and see if it'll stay there. If I fed it there tonight, will that encourage it to stay as well?
Erika

I am THRILLED to see my little maroon buddies diving into their home:D without having to stick my head inbetween the entertainment center and the tank.

MJI
03/16/2003, 02:35 PM
All conditions need to be right for a nem to settle. So if everything else is ok (flow/light etc) then feeding will reinforce that this is a "good place to live"

SeanT
03/17/2003, 11:47 AM
When anemones are first placed into a tank they tend to water for a few days to a week until they find their "spot".
Just let it be and leave your tank set up as it normally is.
There is generally less flow in the back of the rockwork and the anemone has gone back there to sort things out.
He will move.

wasp9166
11/28/2004, 10:54 AM
bring this back from the dead, i put my rbta in yest, he moved to the back of my rock work and all i can see now is part of his foot
=(..............how long b4 i should try to move him out to front? i hope i didnt pay 90 bucks for something ill never see

nyoneway
11/28/2004, 11:48 PM
Wow 90 bucks for a anemone??!!!

SeanT
11/29/2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by wasp9166
how long b4 i should try to move him out to front? i hope i didnt pay 90 bucks for something ill never see
Give him a week or so to get comfortable.
If he decides to take up residence in that location, one trick I used, was to rob it of light.
It got mad there was no light and decided to move elsewhere.
Turns out is was in a place I could live with too.

wasp9166
11/29/2004, 05:24 PM
i moved him manually, hes stayed where i put em, and yes 90 for a rbta, very nice specimen i might add from dr mac,pic in gallery, gbta are 40, so are purple tip sebae

showjet98
11/29/2004, 09:42 PM
point a powerhead at the foot, or try and tickle the foot for a while

wasp9166
11/29/2004, 09:47 PM
does it move towards or away from flow?

wasp9166
11/30/2004, 09:45 AM
well, he stayed in the spot i moved him to for a day, i tried to feed him a piece of scallop yest , he held it for about 15 then let it go , he did this twice..... he went hiking last night , almost the length of the tank and is tucked in a crevice in the back even more so now, im going to leave him alone for a few weeks see what happens..............ive read you dont have to feed them to survive since they are photosynthetic , will he move out into the light if he feels hes dieing?

pmcustom
12/09/2004, 07:24 PM
I have a quick question. My condy moved only an inch after I initially put him in, and stayed there happily for several months. Then, it seems like a few days or a week after I started topping off with kalk, he moved down that rock a few inches and stopped. I'm wondering if/why the kalk made him want to move. Also, he is right over a cluster of button polyps, which was why I was reading this post in the first place. I will try adding a powerhead.