PDA

View Full Version : Anemone scare!

6-line
03/14/2003, 09:51 AM
I finally convinced myself to add an anemone to my establish 90 gallon predominantly SPS reef the other day (in eventual hope for removing my mated pair of Ocellaris adopted and battered Colt corals) in hope to get the clowns to adopt to it. It's a LTA (Corksacrew) and is perfectly healthy. I'm letting it acclimate to the tank prior to letting the clowns at it (if they go to it; I'm waiting for the latest clutch of eggs to hatch and then I'll remove the Colt coral--don't want to stress those clowns out too much). I know thgis anemone isn't a natural host for A. ocellaris but if they took to a Colt..

Anyhow, I was terrified of this animal moving and it's located in an isolated cove; I kept checking it and one time I found it gone (it had since planted it's foot in the sandbed and seemed content). I searched every nook and cranny with my flashlight to no avail. Distressed, I came back later to fine one tiny, shriveled tentacle coming out of the sand in the spot where it originally was. This baby had shrunk to almost nothing and compacted itself into the foot and was almost completely beneath the sand. Within hours it was back to it's full glory.

I had visions of stung corals dancing in my head (or an enoemone that hid under the rocks to die....).
Anyhow, all is well. :rolleyes:

Never had ane anemone (although have researched them) and this occurance baffled me..

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/14/2003, 08:40 PM
anemones that live in the sand have that capability. I was at a beach and i saw some tiny green anemones. i went over to one and tried to pick it up but immediately it retracted itself into the sand. It is really cool and they just reappear.

6-line
03/14/2003, 11:39 PM
Yes, I was shocked to say the least, but also relived that it didn't go traveling around the reef. It hasn't moved since day one (well, Tuesday!).
Anyhow, anyone have a pair or a solitary Ocellaris in a LTA?

Thanks

Todd