PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on corals for PC lighting?

jreiter
03/13/2003, 08:49 PM
Howdy everyone! I've been doing aquariums for a long time, mainly planted freshwater systems, and a few fish-only salts. I've also helped a friend with his

I recently set up a 30 gallon reef (36" long), with a 96 watt PC smart lamp. It's been up for a couple of months now. My current livestock selection is very minimal, and I'm looking to increase it and finish stocking the tank. So far I've only got some mushrooms, and a set of orange polyps, all of which seem to be doing quite well.

My question is: what type of corals and such can I put under a 96 watt PC smartlamp in my 36" long tank? I've got a hook-up for some Xenia and Candy Cane coral. Would the Xenia work if kept up high in the light? Any others?

Thanks! :)

MalHavoc
03/13/2003, 09:09 PM
you'll probably be able to keep both types of coral, just so long as you realize that the Caulastrea coral (the candy cane) is a stony coral and requires regular calcium and alkalinity supplementation.

You may also want to look at the various star polyp corals, and perhaps some zooanthid species as well.

jreiter
03/14/2003, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the tips. I do indeed dose calcium and alkalinity as needed, so hopefully that should keep things in check. :)

I have definitely been checking out the star polyps and zoanthids, so I'll keep my eyes open a bit more for them. Unfortunately my local LFS doesn't have a big selection of anything, so I have to stick to books and the web and such for info. :)

wanareef
03/14/2003, 07:49 AM
Most of the softies- zoos, star polyps as mentioned, ricordea, even the sun coral but would be needing a little shade, nice color but a little more harder to keep but still managable. Feeding is the critical factor.

hth :D

Transam
03/14/2003, 02:08 PM
I have PC lighting and all shrooms and leather tank looks very nice and real easy to keep. I have a candy coral I just add kalk mix and it is thriving and the shrooms and leathers like it too.

T/A