PDA

View Full Version : 10g

Kc189
03/13/2003, 09:37 AM
Could I keep a BTA or LTA in a 10G with a biowheel 10LB of Liverock and 3' DSB. I have 2 15W lights now but I could easly put in 2 25W bulbs. I was going to put one or two clowns with it and thats about it.

Thank you in advance

Keith

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/13/2003, 07:20 PM
it is possible but in my opinion should only be attempted by experts who already have anemone-keeping experience. It's very hard to keep 10 gallons stable enough for anemones to be happy and plus if you do suceed you'll end up getting a bigger tank just to accomodate the larger size anyways.

Dlckwood
03/13/2003, 07:41 PM
It is very possible if you are dedicated to your tank. One of the biggest problems with a tank that size is a powerhead is a huge theat to the anemone. That is usually the way most anemones die in such small tanks.
DAL:p

Kc189
03/13/2003, 08:02 PM
I have a 60G which has been up for about 8 months. I was going to take live sand and the first bit of water from the 60G to put in the 10 I am seeding the Biowheel in my 60G right now. I have never kept an BTA in my 60g because I fear losing it behind all the rocks! I would do water changes once a week. As for the PH problem I think I have a good way to get around that. I found this site the other day it was really neat to me! Please keep the info up I really need it. I am between a Jawfish and the BTA with clowns

Keith

barebottoms
03/13/2003, 10:36 PM
How far is your 10 gallon from your 60? Plumb them together if you can. More total volume is a more stable tank. I have my nano with the rest of my systems and I love it. Only one water change and I can grow out my BTAs in the nano.

Kc189
03/13/2003, 10:59 PM
I will have it in a different house. I have a 35G that I could use as a sump but I would have to find a small overflow! Or I could drill the 35G and use the 10 as the sump but the problem is Lighting!

Keith

Project Reef
03/14/2003, 03:13 PM
- Get a 20 gallon.

- Lose the Bio-wheel.

- Use good quality rock and sand, (you do not need a DSB OF 6" in a 20 gallon tank, 2" is fine.)

- Get a single 150 or 250 watt double ended HQI metal halide pendant setup.

- Cover the suctions of your powerheads.

- Maintain good weekly or bi-monthly 5 gallon water changes.

- Choose a pair of clowns such as Skunks/False Percs/True Percs that will be very happy even when confined to a small area. and you will be fine.

- Do not overfeed.

- Hang on the back Remora skimmer.

This set-up should cost you roughly 400-700 dollars depending on where you get your equipment and rock.

ClownFishTycoon
03/14/2003, 05:45 PM
I agree with project reef get a 20g not to say that it can't be done in a 10g. Iv'e kept a dinner plate size carpet in a 15g it wasn't hard but, you have to keep on top of water changes and top off so your salinity isn't bouncing up and down every day. definetly get MH like preoject reef said HQI is great I have one over my 20g.
get rid of the bio wheel. I like your idea for the power head but, it would be less work to have a closed loop and less hassle.

Kc189
03/14/2003, 05:53 PM
Thank you guys! You have turned me off the BTA and Clown fish Idea! I might add one to my 60g one day. I am going to set up my 35G with the 10 as a sump and just keep a Blue spoted Jawfish and maybe some mushrooms. Thank you guys for all the help.

Keith