PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Condylacti dying ?

prox2332
03/11/2003, 06:41 PM
I have 2 Condylacti anemones one looks lively and the other every for the second day doesn't fully open looks most of the time like a rose bud waitng to bud, I had them both for 3 days now one is fine the other looks not so great any ideas ?

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/11/2003, 09:38 PM
could be anemone rivalry. Anemones do sense one another's presence and will fight to eventually kill one or both. Try to remove the one that is not doing well and take it back to the lfs fr it's own health.

tleilaxu
03/12/2003, 05:10 PM
*could be anemone rivalry*

I know this to be true but I have also seen 7 in the same tank side by side. Do you know what determines aggressive behaviour? Breeds or???? Just curious

jacobdol
03/12/2003, 06:00 PM
do not move it. It should be ok. Just keep an eye on it. It will come back to normal as long as you have adequate water conditions and you bought it healthy.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/12/2003, 08:50 PM
tleilaxu

were they clones of one another? It is estimated that not many tanks under 200 gallons can support two warring anemones but if they are clones of one another then they are the same anemone and will not fight. It make take up to 2 years for the wars to become obvious and there are probably a few people who have kept different anemones together but i wouldn't risk it because they are exceptions.

prox2332
03/12/2003, 09:40 PM
They weren't clones, they are totally seperate entities. They were at a good distance from one another at the fish store, and they were in the same tank and were doing good. Now one eats it's shrimp and the other seems to struggle on holding it's food. I really don't think it's diseased. I have no idea. They live in my tank away from each other so It's not territory. No clue ?

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/12/2003, 10:44 PM
anemones are also able to release chemicals. I think they also shed nematocysts sometimes but i'm not sure about this.

Elliot22288
03/13/2003, 01:24 AM
Anenomes contract and expand alot. I personally think it will be ok..... but then again i didnt read the posts previous. If the anenomes are VERY close, chances r they were waging chemical warefare on each other, but it could simply be the nature of the anenome

tleilaxu
03/13/2003, 08:58 AM
*were they clones of one another?* quote by B.P.

They were in a friends tank, one was a bubble tip (that liked to move around) and the other was a huge Condylacti (also liked to move). After a few weeks apparently they're tentacles were intertwined then not long after the bubble died. The condylacti shriveled up and died a few mths later.

Then I see others that are together and all is fine. I don't get it ?? Are they temperamental?

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/13/2003, 07:43 PM
no i think it may take more time for them to realize each other's presence.. or maybe i'm wrong