PDA

View Full Version : Rose Anemone

goofball310
03/11/2003, 03:59 PM
I purchase a rose about 6 months ago. After two months it crawled to the back of a cave and came back out a month later. Since it has come back out it no longer has its bubble/bulb tips. It looks more like an LTA rather than a BTA. Anyone have any suggestions? It's been like this now for 4 months.

MarinaP
03/11/2003, 06:15 PM
LTs are normal. I actually subsrcibe to the line of thought that BTs are displayed as a sign of stress. All of my 10 BTAs (2 rose and 8 green/pink/beige) are displaying LTs. They all displayed BTs when I purchased them (mail order or LFS purchase). No worries.

goofball310
03/11/2003, 06:49 PM
I'm not really worried, but more on the aesthetic stand point. I live next to a LFS with a tank dedicated to BTA's and they all display BT's and not LT's. I'm so envious of his BTA's. They range from 3" to over 12", and most stand over 16" tall.

Dlckwood
03/11/2003, 08:18 PM
goofball310
Is the place you are talking about TONGS? They have a very cool anemone tank. My RBTA gets its tenticles inflated the days between feeding. One thing that is stated in Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson is that no one knows what causes there tenticles to inflate. Sometimes they never inflate.
DAL:p

prevyet
03/12/2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by MarinaP
LTs are normal. I actually subsrcibe to the line of thought that BTs are displayed as a sign of stress.

I agree 100% with you. I have two clones which I split from the same BTA back in Dec. They were right next to each other on the same rock. One was feed and one not. For over a month I would go in and mess w/ the unfeed one almost every day. The bulbs re-appeared in the one I messed with. I stopped and two weeks later they were gone. I think in our tanks they are so well feed and safe that the defense/food capture is not needed. Just my thoughts.

goofball310
03/12/2003, 12:29 PM
I am talking about Tong's. Truly amazing BTA tank. It has recently been taken over by roses, but used to have green, yellow, and other color BTA's in there.

Dlckwood
03/12/2003, 12:58 PM
I wish I could have seen it then. A little variaty never hurts.

jacksonpt
03/12/2003, 02:12 PM
I believe that long stringy tentacles on BTAs is the first sign of poor nutrition. That's just from my experience though.

prevyet
03/12/2003, 02:46 PM
jacksonpt-did you ever try feeding them a proper diet and see if it had any affect?

jacksonpt
03/12/2003, 03:03 PM
Depends on what you mean by a proper diet. I fed a mixture of fresh, uncooked shrimp, scallop, sqiud, and crab from my LFS (bta didn't seem to crazy about crab meat). I also fed mysis and silverside from my lfs.

Anemone
03/12/2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jacksonpt
I believe that long stringy tentacles on BTAs is the first sign of poor nutrition. That's just from my experience though.

Sorry, I have to disagree here. I've had mine for 7+ years, and they very rarely have bubble tips (the only times I get bubble tips is immediately after splitting or mechanical injury). I don't think mine suffer from poor nutrition.

FWIW,
Kevin

Dlckwood
03/12/2003, 07:38 PM
Anemone
I was just wondering if you have a site with more pics of your anemone. It is very cool looking. Something we should all strive for.

sberman
03/12/2003, 10:27 PM
i got to see anemones tank a couple of days ago and i can say that his rbtas are very healthy. i cant wait for my clone to get as big as his are and be just as healthy .
it is a very nice tank and more pics would be nice
scott