PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Questions

Hopeful Reefer
03/11/2003, 11:31 AM
Ok...just a few :D refugium questions I have to clear things up before I put mine into action.

1) How deep should the DSB be in the fuge?
2) Does all macro "eat up" ammonia and nitrates in addition to the phosphates or is red macro the only one to do that?
3) At what point in the cycle should I be putting the refugium into action?
4) Cheapest place to find macro?
5) Are the refugium kits that come with live rock rubble,live sand, macro and sea cucumbers (live from Dr. Mac & Sons) worth buying?
6) How much lighting is "just right." I am looking at the LoA light everyone else uses, but I also have a Coral Life NO ballast & 2 sets of endcaps which would be a total of 40watts (2 x 20 watts). Would this work?
7) From personal experience which macros are the best for use in a refugium and why?
8) What is the best place to drop the water into from the refugium- main tank (display area at the back or into the overflows) or sump?

I know, lots of questions but I just want to make sure I get this right and I certainly don't want to ask my LFS since they have in the past lied to me about stuff. Will probably come up with more questions later...

Hopeful Reefer
03/11/2003, 01:05 PM
bump

SeanT
03/11/2003, 02:13 PM
1. 1-2 inches unless it is a large refugium.
2. I guess they all do, but some are more efficient than others. Then there is the 'going sexual' to think about.
3. I, personally, would wait until your cycle is complete to try and preserve the life that you are BUYING. Others say anytime you want.
4. Many RC sponsors sell it. Just got to shop around.
5. I bought a fuge kit from Dr. Macs. All in all I was satisfied except for the lack of pods in the macros. Don't thing I got any.
Inlandaquatics.com also sells good ones.
6. Yep.
7. My Spaghetti algae and feather calupers(sp) seem to grow faster than any others. Stay away from grape calupera from what I have read. Halimeda is a no-no in my book. Absorbs WAY too much calcium.
8. I'm sorry I don't understand this question the way it is written. :(

Carlos
03/11/2003, 02:16 PM
Here is the list:

1. Should be just as deep as the main tank. 3-4"
2. Macros main source of food is nutrients so yes, most available macros will filter out nutrients. Just like other things, if the macro dies or goes sexual (reaching a point of maturity), then all those nutrients will be dumped back into the tank.
3. The sooner, the better.
4. Local reef club. You ask local reefers to provide you with macroalgae and sand to get yours started. Also, you can use sand from your main tank to get the fuge going. The more the variety, the better.
5. I dont think so. You can find the same variety, even more most of the times, from local reefers or even your LFS, get some grudge from their live rock holding. the stuff at the bottom is packed with worms and bacteria. Really good stuff that will get you started.
6. The lights you have will do fine.
7. The more, the better! Each macro absorves different things.
8. I do it to the sump but it can be done to the tank also. Whichever is easier for you. Makes no different.

HTH,

Carlos

reese1906
03/11/2003, 02:23 PM
#8 Some say it's best to have the return from the fuge go into the main tank. Reasons being so that some pods and what not will feed the main tank. But the fuge would have to be placed above the main tank.

Hopeful Reefer
03/11/2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by reese1906
#8 Some say it's best to have the return from the fuge go into the main tank. Reasons being so that some pods and what not will feed the main tank. But the fuge would have to be placed above the main tank.

You know, after I asked the question and you answered it, I kind of smacked myself in the head for even asking it...I have an elevated fuge and the whole purpose I built the system that way was for the sole purpose of gravity feeding the pods into the tank so they didn't get chopped up in the return pump...man, what a dork I am :rollface: *chuckle*

Hopeful Reefer
03/11/2003, 02:41 PM
Ok, so since it seems that I should probably go ahead and get the fuge going I need to get some macro...which kinds of macro will be most beneficial in the beginning stages during my cycle... Ie. which macros are going to absorb the phosphate from my water (unfortunately, RO/DI isn't in the system yet...that is next purchase...I know, I know...I need RO/DI...LFS is starting to sell it in a week or so) without decreasing the ammonia to a point where the cycle doesn't get going...

reese1906
03/11/2003, 02:58 PM
Just based on my personal experience,

I actually waited until my cycle was over before I began putting Macro algae into the fuge. My logic was: after the initial cycle, I would use the macro's to reduce the excess nitrates...I didn't want to reduce the cycling time or the amount of bacteria needed to control the ammonia. It may not be irrelevant but that was my logic.

just my 50 cents

Hopeful Reefer
03/11/2003, 05:15 PM
bump