PDA

View Full Version : MH lighting question

pgagne
03/10/2003, 07:09 PM
I purchased two MH bulbs from aquatic lighting systems a few years ago. www.aquaticlight.com. I got 2-175W, 12,000K bulbs.

WIll this be adequate for a 55 gallon tank? I plan on re-creating a reef tank that I once had. I am not an expert although my first experience was succesful as I was slow and patient. To those who have been following several of my last threads (as I am new to RC) I moved therefore had to tear down the tank.

Anyway ... any suggestions to types of corals that I can have with this lighting set-up.

Also ... what type of reflector would people recommend and how far above the water should it be?

I made the canopy myself but I need to put a reflector in it. I also plan on buying the reflector from the above site. Any advantages to a pendant type vs a reflector.

thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Peabody
03/10/2003, 07:11 PM
You could keep just about anything with those lights. :) However, don't expect great growth out of SPS corals with that kelvin temp.

pgagne
03/10/2003, 07:13 PM
What K temp would you reccomend? What falls in the SPS category as I don't know was SPS means ..

Sorry.:rolleyes:

brhibler
03/10/2003, 07:15 PM
I think you the 6500 and 5500 bulbs are what you want. I have a 10K, this is pushing it from what I've heard, but I don't plan on keeping SPS's soon. Maybe a clam.