PDA

View Full Version : Anemone had a bad day

Flame*Angel
03/10/2003, 06:46 PM
This afternoon I looked over at my tank and noticed my huge caulastrea coral upside down on the sand where my big corkscrew anemone was. Emphasis on the "was". I moved the coral where it can't be knocked over any more but there was absolutely no sign of the anemone. I checked everywhere in the tank but it just wasn't there.

A few hours later I noticed a bump in the sand where it had been. Another couple hours and it resurfaced. I still can't believe it was completely under the sand! It doesn't look very happy but I don't see any signs of damage.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? Anything I should know?

richardb42
03/10/2003, 06:49 PM
Mine does this about once a week. Eventually it comes backs up for 'air'.

Flame*Angel
03/11/2003, 07:15 PM
Well today you'd never say anything happened to the anemone. Whew!

richardb42 - is your anemone a corkscrew (long tentacle) as well? Anyone know if this is going under the sand is common to this species? It's a pretty impressive trick.

K. Lee
03/11/2003, 07:18 PM
Corkscrew anemones are a species of Aipstasia. :D They can retract completely, and probably reproduce rapidly vegetatively. :D

Flame*Angel
03/12/2003, 07:39 PM
I guess I probably shouldn't be using the common name. It's definitely not a species of aiptasia (trust me I am all to familar with aiptasia *groan*). It's a <i>Macrodactyla doreensis</i>.

Laura D
03/12/2003, 09:14 PM
I have a Macrodactyla doreensis and that sucker is not fazed by anything.

I was trying to get my clowns to spawn on a tile, one of those four by four inch bathroom tiles. I would lay the tile over their typical spawning site, only to come back and find the clowns had dragged the tile and left it on top of the anemone.

The anemone didn't care, it was fully expanded with the tile laying right in the middle of its oral disk.

They did this a few more times before I gave up on the tile. :rolleyes:

Flame*Angel
03/13/2003, 03:17 PM
mulberry - that must have been frustrating but thanks for sharing, it was a good chuckle picturing your clowns dragging a big 4"x4" tile over on top of the anemone :) I'm not worried about my doreensis anymore, I gave it a piece of krill this morning and it's bigger and more colourful than ever now.

Laura D
03/13/2003, 03:58 PM
Flame Angel,

Yes, they are very uncooperative clowns. I can't believe how strong they are though.

I guess it is good to know they can suck themselves under the sand. I think I would have a heart attack if I looked at the tank and my beloved anemone was gone!

K. Lee
03/13/2003, 04:28 PM
Ah. I myself was confused, I was thinking of "Curley-Q Anemone" anyway. :D

I don't know much or anything about M. doreensis.