PDA

View Full Version : need snails help

kevendowell@ev1.net
03/10/2003, 04:00 PM
I have a 135 and I knew I would get an algea problem sooner or later. I have 10 astrea snails and two bluelegged hermit and a black cuke. What else should I get to keep the algae down? Open to any suggestions.

Kutter
03/10/2003, 04:16 PM
Are you currently having an algal bloom? If so, what type of algae?

There are many factors that can contribute to an algal bloom. Most new tanks go through a few of them, usually a function of a maturing tank.

Other factors that can result in algal blooms are the type of water you use to fill your tank (tap vs RO vs RO/DI etc), the types of food you feed, your bioload, the phosphate and nitrate levels in your tank, your alkalinity etc.

IMHO, there are not a lot of snails that eat filamentous algae, especially once it is established. The best thing to do is try and prevent it in the first place. Turbo grazers are probably the best bet though.

Cerith snails are probably the best in term of detritus eaters. They are true scavengers and will likely indirectly cut down on your algae.

Nothing beats fighting conch for cleaning the sandbed. They will clear a sandbed of diatoms very quickly.

For a significant amount of filamentous algae, you probably either have to remove it by hand (or forceps/tweezers) or get some fish (certain tangs) that will eat it.

Growing macroalgae in a refuguim will also function as a way to limit microalgae growth in your main tank by outcompeting the microalgae for nutrients.

kevendowell@ev1.net
03/10/2003, 08:57 PM
The tank is established, around a year and a half. I just switched to an RO/DI at home. I have a feeling it is probably phosphate in the DSB. My nitrates are running a little high, around 12. I am in the market for some live rock to help that. The algae that I am getting looks like green slime algae on the sandbed only. I do not have a refugium. Will the fighting conch limit what type of reefs inhabitants I eventualyy put in? How many for a 135? Where is a good place for the turbos and or fightin conchs?

ojreef
03/10/2003, 10:12 PM
Hi Kevin,

Please do a search on this site (Reef Central). Search for "ask dr. Ron. He is a renown expert and authur on sand beds and snails plus other critters. He will have an answer.

By the way, if it sounds like Nassarrious Snails will work, go to this web site:
www.floridapets.com

I couldn't believe the price's. I ordered 100 Nass. snails and it cost me $34.00 including shipping! All arrived alive (2 day UPS).
Couldn't believe it. I've had them about 3 months and already have babies. I've started giving them away.
:thumbsup:

Kutter
03/10/2003, 11:42 PM
I agree that posting to Dr. Ron's forum is the way to go. He will however tell you that Nassarrious snails are useless for green slime algae. Nassarrious are scavengers of meaty foods and are not herbivores.