PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Sea vs Marine Environment

Rick Davis
03/10/2003, 12:00 PM
Great article on artificial salts - or "Just when you thought it was safe to change your water..."

I noticed that Aquacraft makes the Bio-Sea Marinemix used in your study and Aquacraft also makes Marine Environment which they claim an even higher "S-15" rating than Bio-Sea Marinemix (assuming high rating = closer to NSW). Just curious if you considered testing Marine Environment or, if not, why. Based on your findings, I am leaning towards buying the higher rated Marine Environment product because Bio-Sea Marinemix tested well.

rshimek
03/10/2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Rick Davis

Hi,

Great article on artificial salts - or "Just when you thought it was safe to change your water..."

LOL! :lol: Yeah...

Just curious if you considered testing Marine Environment or, if not, why.

No, I didn't. Frankly, the Bio-Sea was a donated product, and to prevent the fellow who donated from feeling like it was a waste of time and money to send it to me, I tested it. I really didn't investigate the Aqua-Craft product line. Had I done so, I would have probably taken a look at the "Marine Environment" salt instead.

In any case, I don't know how it would rate in such a test. If it had lower concentrations of the trace metals, I would expect it to do as well. On the other hand, if it had as a concentration in some of the odder materials such as Lithium, well, all bets are off. I don't know how toxic lithium would be in the long run, but is also known to be toxicant to some marine animals.

Sorry, in this case, I really can't help you. I test four salts and for those four, I think the tests worked well. But, it is essentially impossible to extrapolate to any other product.

:D

Rick Davis
03/10/2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. According to their website, Marine Environment is very similar to Bio- Sea Marinemix with regard to metals and trace elements. However, both were high in lithium vs NSW so that is a concern. Anyway, I think I will try the Marine Environment and see how things go.

Thanks again.

BTW, for your next study you might want to tackle something less controversial like whether men or women make better reefers.

rshimek
03/11/2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Rick Davis

Hi,

BTW, for your next study you might want to tackle something less controversial like whether men or women make better reefers.

Gonna be a long time before there is a "next" study. :D