PDA

View Full Version : Bubble coral question

Sugar Magnolia
03/07/2003, 07:46 PM
I recently (last week) purchased a bubble coral. It's about 4 inches across and has about 5 mouths that I can see. It came attached to a piece of rock that is much bigger than I would like. Right now it's a bit too close to my blue mushrooms. So far it hasn't stung it, but I want to prevent this from happening.

From the appearence of the rock and from the research I've done on this coral, I think most of the rock that it's on is mostly the hard skeleton of the coral. The rock has very jagged edges. Almost like rounded spines. I saw an article about fragging the coral itself, but I just want to get rid of some of that rock.

What's the best way to shave off a good portion of the rock and how long can the bubble be out of the water without putting more stress on it than it will already undergo?

I will also be moving him from higher up in the tank to a nice lonely corner where it won't bother anyone.

6 gallon nano
2 1/2" LS
6-8 lbs LR
perc. clown
feather duster
SLF crab
1 red leg hermit
2 bumble bees
2 nassarius
1 turbo
1 bue shroom frag (5-6 shrooms)
1 green button polyp frag
1 chili coral frag
1 bubble coral

figuerres
03/07/2003, 11:36 PM
is this in a 6 gallon tank? just be warned that my bubble has doubled in size inless than 4 months.

if we are both talking about the same kind of "bubble" that is...
Plerogyra sinuosa

some times called grape coral, ballon coral, bladder coral and so on.

EricHugo
03/08/2003, 04:03 AM
I'd worry about the mushrooms harming the bubble coral more than the other way around. I would suggest you neither frgament this coral, nor remove skeletal material.

Sugar Magnolia
03/08/2003, 09:35 AM
Okay, thanks. If he gets too big I plan on moving him to a bigger tank.