PDA

View Full Version : black occel pictures

acrohead
03/07/2003, 03:42 PM
Hey can anyone post some nice pics of black occe clowns.
There arent very many good pics out there, or they are hard to track down.

barebottoms
03/08/2003, 12:58 AM
Male on the left, Female on the right. The Female is all black, which to me is sort of rare. Not a tinge of orange on her face, or on her for that matter.

RyanN
03/08/2003, 01:30 AM
Here's a pic of the black ocellaris I have in my nano:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~naneyr/108-0840_IMG.JPG

acrohead
03/08/2003, 11:43 AM
Hey did you buy online, or did a LFS have them for you?
Just wondering, tryin ot buy a couple of them and not running into them.
THe pictures are great, thanks.
And BARE- is that a BTA?

barebottoms
03/08/2003, 12:12 PM
Acrohead,

I got them from my LFS. Do yourself a favor and get your LFS to order several from ORA so you can pick and choose. There is so much variation with them that you really want to see it first. All the ones I've seen recently are broken barred in the middle bar, which is cool, but not what I wanted.

Fingerwrinkles gave me great advice when I was looking for mine. Look at the gills, make sure they don't stick out. You'll see a lot of them with one side of the face gill area that sticks out from the body. If you're looking for a true A. Ocellaris look in your fish, find one that is more pointy at the face snout, very common genetic mutation in them is to have a pugged face. Which you can see in my male vs. the female.

I think ORA has a huge stock of them now, I see new ones at my LFS every time I go.

I've gotten one from DR. MAC that is really nice, but it didn't make it past a week and never showed any signs of being sick. Which I don't think its Dr. Mac's fault.

Yes thats a bta, they seem to like the green one more than a rose that is right below it.

Masoch
03/08/2003, 09:27 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Those are the clowns I have and have been trying to ID for over a month! Everyone's been telling me Clarkii, but the black tails with the touch of white had me believing differently. Thanks, guys :)

LargeAngels
03/09/2003, 02:35 PM
RyanN, is that a black ocellaris or a black A. polymnus? From the yellow fin and the middle stripe bending towards the rear it looks just like what they used to sell as "black percs" but were actually the black variety of A. polymnus.

RyanN
03/09/2003, 05:55 PM
LargeAngels,

You're right it is an A. polymnus. I asked my LFS for an all black perc and this is what he ordered. Thanks for the heads up.

Ryan

showjet98
03/30/2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RyanN
Here's a pic of the black ocellaris I have in my nano:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~naneyr/108-0840_IMG.JPG thats not a perc, its a polymnus!!black phase of it.

JHardman
03/30/2003, 04:49 PM
Here is my pair I got from Dr Mac and sons. They are between 12-18 months old. The female is about 2" with no orange/red on her. Her face is a little lighter grey than the rest of her. The male has a little red/orange on his snout. They are cleaning now, so maybe they will have their first nest in a month or so.

http://007excell.com/personalpics/fish/black_ocellaris_pair_small.jpg

RyanN, don't feel bad. There is an LFS here that has A. Polymnus labeled as "Black and White Perucla". I talked to the manger and told him that they were A. Polymnus and that there wasn't such a thing as a black and white A. Percula. In not so many words, he told to mind my own business. I thought about reporting them to the BBB, as they are knowingly selling one thing as another... At least he could have been anything other than very rude. :rolleyes:

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/30/2003, 10:52 PM
here's mine