PDA

View Full Version : reagal tang (hippo tang)

imgrtful
03/06/2003, 05:32 PM
what is the going price on a reagal tang and how often do you come accross them.our lfs just got one in for us,but they want $43.99 for it.they said that they are not found evey day,so that's why a steep price.also are they hardy?

Robert Hoeck
03/06/2003, 05:45 PM
IMO they're more susceptable to ick than alot of other tangs. Heard them referred as "ick magnets". Also, they consume more meat in their diet. I had one that was captive raised and housed it with cleaner shrimp that seemed to keep it well. I've noticed that the dealers have alot of really small regals and guess they sell for 20-$25. In wild, they like to hide in sps's corals and come from areas of high current. They're beautiful fish and always caught my eye. Good luck, Rob.

imgrtful
03/06/2003, 05:55 PM
thanks rob.i tried having peppermint shrimp and my coral banded and 4 line ate them.i really need to try the cleaners and hope they are capable of eluding the predaters

Robert Hoeck
03/06/2003, 06:22 PM
I'd get the biggest scarlet cleaner shrimps you can find. I've had peppermint, but I'd be surprised if your lined wrasse would bother the scarlets. Of course, adding shrimps after fishes may be more difficult, but you should be alright. After shrimp molt is usually when they get nabbed, though. Keep your water quality good and you should do well. Take care, Rob.

imgrtful
03/06/2003, 11:56 PM
what about the coral banded shrimp?will he bother it?

Robert Hoeck
03/07/2003, 08:14 AM
The coral banded shrimp that I had didn't exhibit that good of cleaning behavior. They've got bigger claws that should protect it better, but I'd opt for scarlets for parasite removal.

imgrtful
03/07/2003, 11:22 PM
what i meant is will the c.b.shrimp eat the cleaner.

Robert Hoeck
03/08/2003, 07:31 AM
Oh yea, cb's are usually best kept alone or mated pairs.