PDA

View Full Version : What type of anemone is this?

CAPT PETE
03/05/2003, 06:21 PM
I think this is a flower anemone but I am not sure.

MarinaP
03/05/2003, 07:06 PM
That's a nice bubble tip anemone that you've got there. Make sure you feed this animal 3 times a week with small chunks of krill, shrimp, formula I, squid, clams, etc. What is your tank like?

CAPT PETE
03/05/2003, 07:28 PM
That anemome came in on my liverock about 4 years ago I've fed it a few times but not on a regular basis. It gets fed when i feed my fish also. Here is a pic of my tank.

MarinaP
03/05/2003, 07:54 PM
Beautiful tank, CAPT PETE. If you feed this anemone, if you can, it will grow fast and hopefully divide. I assume you have a lot of MH light. Just out of curiosity, where did this BTA position itself in regard to light? Did it move a lot in the beginning? Thanks.

CAPT PETE
03/05/2003, 08:26 PM
It moved up toward the light when I first saw it. It stayed in the exact same place as it is now. It stays toward the end of where the mh pendant is. My lighting is 2 250w 6500k MH (Iwasaki). VHO 1 160w actinic white, 160w actinic. Thanks for your help.

shez15
03/05/2003, 11:34 PM
Awesome tank CAPT PETE. I agree with MarinaP, it looks like a really nice and healthy BTA. Wow, this was a hanger-on on your live rock? I need to buy some of that!

shawn maybee
03/06/2003, 08:26 AM
very nice ,very nice ,,that is all i have to say

showjet98
03/30/2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by MarinaP
That's a nice bubble tip anemone that you've got there. Make sure you feed this animal 3 times a week with small chunks of krill, shrimp, formula I, squid, clams, etc. What is your tank like? how can anyone say thats a bubble tip? There are so many people on here who have no clue!! thats a type of rock anemone thats comes in with a lot of live rock. In no way is that a bubble tip!! Get a clue, before you post.

CAPT PETE
03/30/2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Gary Majchrzak
03/30/2003, 08:54 PM
I have to agree- the pic is not of a Bubble-Tip anemone, although it is difficult to say for certain just what kind of anemone it is. What is the diameter of that critter?:confused:

fitzgerald_jay
03/30/2003, 08:59 PM
agreed, that is not a bubble tip. if it were a bubble tip, one could easily identify with the bubbley tips of the anenome. any ways, its some type of flower anenome. cant really tell from that photo to clearly. great specimin though. i can believe it came on wiht the lr. i had sun coral on my lr and didnt even know it until more polyps emerged.

CAPT PETE
03/30/2003, 09:11 PM
Gary,

It's about the size of a silver dollar, maybe a little bigger.

Gary Majchrzak
03/30/2003, 09:36 PM
It could be a so called 'Flower' anemone, or maybe something else entirely {perhaps Anemonia sp.?}. I suggest you try Dr. Ron's forum. Make sure to mention the size of the anemone to him.;)

shez15
03/31/2003, 10:51 PM
There are so many people on here who have no clue!!
Get a clue, before you post.

:mad:

Carlos
03/31/2003, 11:11 PM
I am making this public so everyone is fully aware of our User Agreement and the code of conduct one must follow in this board.

Please refrain from making any bad comments aimed at the person. To say that it is not a BTA anemone is fine but to tell someone to "get a clue" is uncalled for and in no way, shape, or form, part of the code of conduct of this forum and this board. There are more tactful ways of correcting someone or telling someone that they might be wrong.

I dont want this thread to turn into a personal thread and the minute it does, it will be closed AND the parties involved will be notified.

Consider this a warning. Lets keep things civil.

Carlos
RC Staff

Wolverine
04/01/2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by fitzgerald_jay
agreed, that is not a bubble tip. if it were a bubble tip, one could easily identify with the bubbley tips of the anenome.

That's not necessarily true. Often bubble-tips (E. quadricolor) can have deflated tips, and actually look more like an LTA, so this is not the distinguishing feature of bubble-tips. Pp. 378 and 379 in TRA II, and p 34 in Wilkerson's Clownfishes show pictures of bubble-tips without bubbles.

Last I heard the reason that some have bulbs and some don't had not been definitively explained.

Dave

TIGER SHARK
04/02/2003, 07:31 PM
I agree that it is hard to tell if it is a bubble tip or not from the pic but I got a green BTA last week that looks almost exactly like the one pictured when the tentacles are not bubbled. They go back and forth, from bubbles to long and stringy. Does the anemone ever show bubble tip?

TIGER SHARK
04/02/2003, 07:33 PM
Another note, my BTA is a bit bigger than a silver dollar, maybe 4 inches across but does not have tenticles as dense as the one shown so maybe this is another kind of anemone.

OrionN
04/02/2003, 09:01 PM
BTA sometime looks exactly like the picture. I know because my Orange tiped BTA look just like that picture, except he is about 6 inches in diameter.
Minh Nguyen

crgeltn
04/02/2003, 10:37 PM
While it could be a BTA I dont think it is. If it is at least four years old and the size of a silver dollar it is probably some other type. Just my two cents.:D

TheBimbo
04/04/2003, 07:40 PM
looks to me like a Hatian Anemone. But whatever it is it is really nice. That's a great bonus.......

Gary Majchrzak
04/05/2003, 12:31 AM
CAPT PETE- if you get word from Dr. Ron on this anemones ID will you please let us know the outcome?

CAPT PETE
04/05/2003, 02:46 PM
I'll let you know as soon as I find out. I underestimated the size of it. When I turned down the water flow it is about 5".

OrionN
04/05/2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CAPT PETE
I'll let you know as soon as I find out. I underestimated the size of it. When I turned down the water flow it is about 5".
If it is 5 inches the it is very likely be a BTA.

CAPT PETE
04/07/2003, 11:12 AM
This is what Dr. Ron had posted:.

The column appears to lack verruchae, and that limits the possibilities a lot. I will go way out on a limb and guess that it may be a bulb-tipped anemone (without the bulb tips ), Entacmaea quadricolor.

I am not too certain of that identification, however. But....

OrionN
04/07/2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by showjet98
how can anyone say thats a bubble tip? There are so many people on here who have no clue!! thats a type of rock anemone thats comes in with a lot of live rock. In no way is that a bubble tip!! Get a clue, before you post.
While I am not sure that this is a BTA, it is not an unreasonable guess.
Minh Nguyen

CAPT PETE
04/07/2003, 03:02 PM
Here are a couple of close-ups

Tips:

CAPT PETE
04/07/2003, 03:03 PM
Base and column

Dlckwood
04/09/2003, 12:30 AM
Thanks for updating us. Great looking anemone.
DAL:p

gilman
04/09/2003, 12:43 AM
Kinda looks like our Tulip Anenomes.

http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/photos/040703tulip1.jpg

Gil

grampus
05/04/2003, 02:51 AM
i completly agree with Gil. it definately looks to be a tulip. on the topic where can i obtain a tulip right now?

Premnas
05/05/2003, 08:45 PM
I agree, it looks like a nice BTA. Nice color too!

Dlckwood
05/05/2003, 10:00 PM
Wow, after looking at that picture one can see how small it is. The yellow pollips right next to it look the same size.

This picture also looks like the one that Liveaquaria.com used to call a Rose BTA. (It is not thought of course)

OrionN
05/05/2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Dlckwood
Wow, after looking at that picture one can see how small it is. The yellow pollips right next to it look the same size.

This picture also looks like the one that Liveaquaria.com used to call a Rose BTA. (It is not thought of course)
The picture you look at is not CAPT PETE's anemone. His anemone is 5 inches. It is not small and is most likely an BTA.
Minh

suasponte2/75
06/11/2003, 12:30 PM
WOW..... I have the exact same anemone that came on my LRs about 2 years ago. It was the size of a pen cap diameter when I got it. It's now over 6 inches expanded. It goes from looking like an LTA at night and a BTA during the day under my MHs. It moved a lot when it was smaller (only around one LR). I've been searching for an ID on this thing for quite a while without an exact match. This one though matches it exactly tentacles, tips, base, color, everything. Is this thing rare? At first I thought it was majano and was cautious about feeding it. Now that it's bigger, and I'm sure that it's not, it eats like a pig. I'm so glad someone out there posted this picture to clear it up a little bit. :D .

Thanks,

Minh

Cher
06/14/2003, 05:27 PM
Well, what ever type it may be, I am impressed. Keeping an anemone for 4 years is fantastic!

Cheers!
Cheryl