PDA

View Full Version : When will GSMaroon pick host?

LauraBay
03/05/2003, 01:49 AM
Hi,

After years of wanting one I finally added a GSMaroon to my 75 reef. The tank is well established and is home to many soft corals. I am hoping the maroon will take to one of the softies but I am ready to invest in a "better" host if necessary. How long should I give the maroon to settle on a host before deciding to look for something different? I have always stayed away from anemones in the past because they are more difficult to maintain. Any hints on alternates hosts for a maroon. Also any advice on care for a BTA would be appreciated.

Thanks ,Laura

REEFGIRL1
03/05/2003, 04:27 PM
my maroon will only host in a anemone, before i got him one he spent his days rearranging the tank (clam and coral tipping were his favorites, I lost two clams to clownfish abuse). It took him about 2 months to start hosting in his LTA now he is a happy camper

maroonclwn
03/05/2003, 08:52 PM
Clowns hosting in corals can cause great harm to them. Some soft corals may be able to handle it but with LPS like bubblecoral, etc, the clowns can cause tissue destruction, and infection to the coral. Corals do not have clowns playing in them in the wild so they are not used to clowns playing in them. Sometimes they can cause death to the coral.

LauraBay
03/05/2003, 11:43 PM
I don't have any LPS. I have heard many reports of maroons hosting in soft corals such as leathers or colts. I have some of both as well as several large hairy mushroom colonies that at least to human eyes appear much like an anemone does. I will invest in a BTA if she does not accept on of my soft corals but I want to give it enough time to be sure she will not pick something I already have before getting the BTA.

Any advice on selecting or maintaining a BTA? My experience with anemones is very limited. Until recently it seems that the "leave it in the ocean" mentality was most popular. I've noticed lately that a lot more people seem to be having success with anemones.

I have a 75 reef with 2-175W 10K halides.

Thanks

maroonclwn
03/06/2003, 12:43 AM
If u do get the BTA, they would prefer strong lighting which u do have. Feed it two to three times a week with foods like mysis shrimp or formula one pieces. Keep your water quality good and make sure u pick a healthy specimen, (one that is golden brown, green, or rose rather than stark white). Check online for more information regarding their care.