PDA

View Full Version : False Percs and Clarkiis....fight or happy ?

mikegronholz
03/04/2003, 09:25 PM
Anyone have any experiences with both in the same tank ? (All tank raised) Who will pick on who or will they coexist ?

mobert
03/04/2003, 10:45 PM
It's possible if your tank is big enough. Otherwise the Clarkii may grab hold of the percs top fin and shake her like a rag doll. That's what mine does and then I had to separate them until the Clarkii calmed down. The perc has learned to stay out of the way now but they are in a 240 gallon tank....

TIGER SHARK
03/05/2003, 03:02 PM
I would have to agree with mobert. Clarkii can be very aggressive but maybe if you get a really small clarkii and a couple larger false percs, they might be ok. If the tank is large that is always better. My 60 was too small and the clarkii got pretty mean towards his tank mates.

sebae0
03/05/2003, 03:30 PM
i tried it also and the clarkii kick the crap out of my false percs until i got a carpet and the percs took it over and they seemed to get along after that.

ginntonic74
03/05/2003, 05:53 PM
The clarkii will kill the perculas especially if the perculas are smaller then him imo

mikegronholz
03/08/2003, 09:59 PM
I got a Clarkii today of decent size (about the same as the female perc). Well, the male perc (of the mated pair) was quick to establish his dominance by nipping at the Clarkii !!! VERY ODD !!! Well, after about 30 minutes, the Clarkii found the carpet and has not left it since. He has not given the percs the leastbit of attention unless they get close (and I mean close - an inch or so) to the carpet. So all appears fine for now. The guy at the LFS was amazed that so far, none of the 4 false percs I have were agressive. He figures my tank inhabitants are very passive. Hope they stay that way !!!