PDA

View Full Version : how do you feed anemone?

taistank
03/04/2003, 04:24 AM
how do you feed anemone?

Erik765
03/04/2003, 04:34 AM
I just feed mine a 1/2" piece of uncooked shrimp about 1-2 times / week. I just by some at safeway peel off the shells and freeze it. When I need some, I break off however much I need and thaw it under hot water.
Seems to work good. You can use other things too, as long as its uncooked. (Uncooked shrimp is not red but grey)

;)

E

Erik765
03/04/2003, 04:35 AM
I guess I should add... you just stick the meat in it's tentacles and it should grab it and move it to it's mouth.

;)

E

taistank
03/04/2003, 04:44 AM
wow....i just bought my first anemone and still learning..thanks for the info...it is very interesting how these things can eat

wanareef
03/04/2003, 09:00 AM
I try to vary the foods that I feed our anonemoes- shirmp w/shell , scallops, clams, silversides, squid, Mysis shrimp. All are cut into 1/4" cubes and soaked in selcon for a couple of minutes. Once in a while I will feed them he blender mush- which has Nori mixed in as well. just my .02 :D

Laura D
03/04/2003, 11:33 AM
I usually feed small peices of uncooked table shrimp. I cut it up when it is frozen, because it is less messy, and let it thaw thoroughly in a cup of tank water. I use a bamboo skewer to place the shrimp in the anemones tentacles. The tentacles are sticky and they pull it off the skewer. I usually load it up with food real good a few times a week, I feed it more than I think it will eat, because the clowns steal some.

You may need to experiment with different foods to find one your anemone likes. Frozen silversides, that you can buy at the pet store are usually accepted. It's really important to get your anemone eating soon, often when they first come into the store they are stressed and weak, so he needs to eat.

zooqi
03/04/2003, 11:54 AM
One thing I have learned that is best to feed them day time or some of them will spit the food out at night if you fed them late but not sure because I fed mine a couple of times afternoon and he did not spit it out.

Phage
03/04/2003, 12:02 PM
I feed my BTA chunks of raw krill. I just drop it in the tank, and my maroon clown takes it to the anemone and feeds it.

jacobdol
03/04/2003, 09:00 PM
I feed mine with clams, mussels and jumbo shrimp cut in small pieces using turkey baster (sp?).
Actually my carpet anemone likes to be fed after the lights go off but my BTA likes to eat when the lights are on.

taistank
03/05/2003, 02:35 AM
my anenome shrunk all the way in. my lights are off. is this normal? the first night it was in there ...it did not shrink in. this is his third night and he shrank after lights went off.. is this normal?