PDA

View Full Version : LTA and green star polyp

greenflag
03/03/2003, 05:10 PM
We have a LTA in our tank that is about 8-9 inches across. It appears to be very happy and healthy. A couple of months ago, we got a rock with a colony of green star polyps on it. In an effort to place the polyps at the top of the tank for better lighting, it happened to be next to the LTA. First thing we know, the blue legged hermits are munching away on the polyps. The rock is almost bare now. I moved the polyp rock away from the LTA because we read that anemones would sting some corals. We're wondering if that could have been the case and caused the crabs to go into "clean-up" mode. Any thoughts or similar experiences?Also, I think the LTA ate one of our green chromis damsels. I was about to feed the other night and I looked at the LTA and he was all closed up. Then I looked around and only found two instead of three damsels! He didn't get fed that night! Is that something that happens periodically or could he be hungry? I feed Formula One directly to him every other night. He's growing pretty fast.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
03/03/2003, 07:35 PM
ok, i dont know if your lta stung your polyps or not but you didn't really need to place it that high in your tank. GSP are kinda low light corals that will actually do worse with too much light. I think that hermit crabs are evil... the best of them is the red legged which isn't that good either. The lta might have eaten the chromis but it was probably weak or stupid because lta's are notorious for eating fish. The sting isn't really designed for that.