PDA

View Full Version : tivo

lilbuddy
03/03/2003, 04:13 PM
I really want to get a Tivo system but was wondering if any of you guys and gals have one and how you like it. I was looking at the Hughes system that circuit city has for 225. The sony was is about 400. Any thoughts???

opihi
03/03/2003, 04:28 PM
OMG, we do have similar interests! i have had a tivo for about a month now. it's friggen awesome! the only problem i had was the unit couldn't dial in to get the program data, due to modem handshake problems. this rendered the unit unusable. i bought a USB network adaptor for it, and now it uses my DSL connection to connect. no problems since.

make sure you get the appropriate unit (dish needs it's own receiver unit). i bought the AT&T Series 2 40 hr unit.

tivo rocks!

lilbuddy
03/03/2003, 04:39 PM
i dont know much about them maybe i should just go to circuit city and talk to those guys.

Ilsimen
03/03/2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by opihi
OMG, we do have similar interests! i have had a tivo for about a month now. it's friggen awesome! the only problem i had was the unit couldn't dial in to get the program data, due to modem handshake problems. this rendered the unit unusable. i bought a USB network adaptor for it, and now it uses my DSL connection to connect. no problems since.

make sure you get the appropriate unit (dish needs it's own receiver unit). i bought the AT&T Series 2 40 hr unit.

tivo rocks!

That's funny because the I was told by Best Buy that you HAVE to have a phone line, and that it dosn't hook up to a network connection. We just got rid of our land line and wasn't about to get one hooked back up and pay a monthly phone bill on top of a monthly Tivo bill. But perhaps there is hope yet.

Mike

opihi
03/03/2003, 06:50 PM
hooking it up to broadband was unbelievably easy. all you need to do is hook up the adaptor, set your dialing prefix to ;#341 (or something like that) and reset the tivo. the adaptor was $30, but i got it from compu$a.

just make sure you're buying a series 2 tivo. those are the only ones that can support it AFAIK. Tivo, as a company, is supposed to support broadband in a couple months.

btw, you can't always listen to salespeople. like anything else, you gotta do the research on your own. check out tivocommunity.com, that's where i read about tivo and broadband.

WowAFish
03/04/2003, 04:12 AM
If you are interested in Satellite TV you can go for the Directv unit powered by TiVo. Dual tuners so you can record two things at once. I have two of them and with all of this reality TV Cr** that I can't get enough of I can record 4 channels at once. The DirecTivo can't record Over the air or cable but it does a perfect job with the Satellite TV. I have had them for over a year and have never missed or lost a recording. They are definately the best product since the CD except maybe the DVD. The problem is marketing. I guess it's hard to explain what these things do without using one.

lilbuddy
03/04/2003, 09:22 AM
I have directv now but i use rca recivers. Which stink. I use to have hughes and i like them much better. As far as phone lines go I never have had a phone line plugged in. The only reason for the phone line so directv can monitor what you watch and for you to order pay per view. I could go into more detail about it but the point is you dont need to plug it into a phone line.

My wifes friend has tivo and she doent plug the phone line in to her system. I asked her about her tivo system (sony) and all she can tell me yeah its nice. thats why i came here to look for a tad bit more detail other then yeah its nice:confused:

opihi
03/04/2003, 01:37 PM
well, tivo is nice... like WowAFish says, it's hard to describe what the tivo can do for you. i could go on an on about how much i love my tivo, instead here's a couple of my favorite features:

1-Season Pass record. this records all the episodes of your favorite shows. what's cool about it is that it will look up the synopses of the shows and determine whether it's a repeat or not. the tivo is smart enough to record only new episodes (and repeats if you want it to).

2-tivo recommends. while you're watching TV, you can rate programs anytime. if you like it, you can give it up to 3 thumbs up, if you hate it, 3 thumbs down. the tivo will then try to recommend shows you like and then record them for you. for example, my GF is a huge Trading Spaces fan. our tivo automatically records HomeTime, America's Castles, etc for us.

if you've got directTv, you'll definitely want the reciever w/ tivo built in. i bought my tivo second hand from a couple who had a dish of some sort, and they couldn't get the tivo to work with their dish properly.

one huge plus of having the directTv receiver w/ tivo is the ability to watch one channel and record another. there are ways around this for cable users, but i'm too damn lazy and would rather spend the 15 minutes sitting in front of my tank.

lilbuddy
03/04/2003, 01:46 PM
cool i think im going to circuit city tonight