PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Help Please!!!

Jade
03/02/2003, 09:57 PM
Hello All,

OK... Here's the scoop, I got this anemone from a "friend of a friend" who was gonna just get rid of it because his clowns wouldn't take to it. So, here I am with this, I believe to be a SeaBea Anemone, I'm not sure. It is white with short, thick, tenticles that have purple tips. Now I need help because I don't really know much about them. Is this in fact a Seabea? Should I direct feed it? If so, what do I feed? What is the best clown to have for the Anemone? Also, can someone give me some links to sites where I can find specifics about this guy? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Chris:confused: :confused: :confused:

cyclgrl
03/02/2003, 10:33 PM
What kind of lighting do you have? Anemones need a good amount of light to live.

You can feed it just about any kind of raw marine food: krill, silversides, scallop, etc. Just be sure to cut the pieces up into bite-size pieces. If the food is frozen, let it thaw out beforehand. You can feed as much as it can eat, and if it doesn't take it, just try again in a couple days.

BTW, anemones don't need clowns to survive. But if you are determined to get a clown for yours then you can probably do a lookup online on clown-anemone capatibility.

lawndoctor
03/02/2003, 10:36 PM
It looks like a bleached Heteractis crispa to me. If you do a search on this forum for "bleached sebae" you will get a ton of helpful information.

jacobdol
03/03/2003, 01:36 AM
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/ch1.html#class

Marc03
03/03/2003, 10:26 AM
feed it at least 3x a week, since its bleeched and needs help getting back its zoos.

ginntonic74
03/03/2003, 12:03 PM
I have the same anenome in my tank. I dont think it is bleached. I asked dr ron about this and he said that it is in deep water and the white is natural. I might be wrong. Ask dr ron he will also let you know what kind of clown host it. I believe he said perculas like them. Also when i bought it it was labled white singapore sebae anenome. I feed him kril;l brine shrimp soaked in zoe and blood worms. He is doing great. My first one died but this one is doing great.

lawndoctor
03/03/2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by ginntonic74
I asked dr ron about this and he said that it is in deep water and the white is natural.

I would be very interested in what Dr. Shimek had to say about this. Would you mind posting the link to your discussion with him, or at least the title and date of the thread?

ginntonic74
03/03/2003, 03:06 PM
Here it is but i must note i did mess up what he said. He said IF they occur. I have had a couple of friends who have had these, one of them works at lfs and they have always been white they have never browned up.
As per Dr. Ron
These white anemones have been around for a long time. Most folks treat them as bleached Heteractis crispa. Generally, they do well in aquaria if well fed. IF they are fed well, they often "brown up" (acquire zooxanthellae) and survive well.

If these white animals occur naturally, they probably come from either relative deep water or water that is turbid and dirty. They would have to subsist totally on the food that they could catch.

jacobdol
03/03/2003, 03:38 PM
I have a white BTA. I bought it like that. It is probably bleached although the foot is completely brown. It is eating well, inflates its tentacles and growing. So I wonder how come if it is bleached and close to death, it is been doing well for the last couple of months? One thing I have noticed though it does not like a lot of light.

phdezra
03/03/2003, 05:19 PM
Anemones need ample light, NOT VERY BRIGHT LIGHT. There can be a big difference. I strongly suggest that anyone who aspires to keep anemones buy Dr. Ron's book on Host Sea Anemones. Here is a link to it on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966454952/rosensaft-20)

OrionN
03/03/2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Jade
Hello All,

OK... Here's the scoop, I got this anemone from a "friend of a friend" who was gonna just get rid of it because his clowns wouldn't take to it. So, here I am with this, I believe to be a SeaBea Anemone, I'm not sure. ..........
Chris:confused: :confused: :confused:
How I hate to hear this and really when I see reefers like this person.
This is a Heteractis crispa that bleached. It usually like ample light and usually stay at the interface of sand and rock. Feed him well and he should recover.
Good luck
Minh Nguyen

Stretch
03/03/2003, 06:25 PM
That looks identicle to mine

Mine is doing fine, Except the LFS i got it from called it a LTA, And many people have ID it as a sebea. And i think it may be changeing colors. Only bad part is the clown fish haven't taken to it, probaly because they are young and tank rasied
http://members.shaw.ca/jessehamel/afish.jpg

OrionN
03/03/2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Stretch
That looks identicle to mine

Mine is doing fine, Except the LFS i got it from called it a LTA, And many people have ID it as a sebea. And i think it may be changeing colors. Only bad part is the clown fish haven't taken to it, probaly because they are young and tank rasied

Your anemone maybe was dyed yellow. It seem to loosing the dye and is more white now. A healthy H. crispa should be light brown with purple tip.
Good luck to you both. I hope that they will regain the brown color and be healthy again.
Minh Nguyen

Yamatake36
03/03/2003, 07:51 PM
It seems like Radianthus crispus. Unlike other anemones, it does not like strong light and tides. As it does not have zoos, you need to feed them 1 - 3 times a week.

Yamatake36
03/03/2003, 07:56 PM
It hosts mainly A. Perideraion and A.Clarki, while mine is hosting A.Ocellaris.

OrionN
03/03/2003, 09:44 PM
This is a picture of the same species that is healthy.
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/img0083.jpg
The fishes they host naturally are:
A. akindynos, A. bicinctus, A. chrysopterus, A. clarkii, A. ephippium, A. latezonatus, A. leucokranos, A. melanopus, A. omanensis, A. percula, A. perideraion, A. polymnus, A. sandaracinos, A. tricinctus
Minh Nguyen

Jade
03/03/2003, 10:13 PM
Hi All,
Thanks to EVERYONE that responded to this post. I REALLY APPRECIATE all your input!!! I will try feeding a couple times a week, and see what happens. I would still like to hear from anyone else that would like to put in their .02cents. Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Chris

Yamatake36
03/03/2003, 10:15 PM
It's Radianthus lobatus, I believe. It is mainly imported from Indonesia and Phillipine. It has thicker white tube with pink or purple point on the top. http://homepage3.nifty.com/teka/new_page_2821843.htm
(Sorry, I couldn't find pics within English HPs)

Mr.Minh Nguyen, yours is Heteractis crispa which is different from his.

lawndoctor
03/03/2003, 10:51 PM
This is fascinating. Other than the genus and species, the only English word on this link is "MENU." Would you please tell us what is being said on the page with the pictured anemone?

lawndoctor
03/03/2003, 10:54 PM
O.K., so there are a few other English words, but "MENU" is the only one in all capital letters.

OrionN
03/03/2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Yamatake36
It's Radianthus lobatus, I believe. It is mainly imported from Indonesia and Phillipine. It has thicker white tube with pink or purple point on the top. ....

Mr.Minh Nguyen, yours is Heteractis crispa which is different from his.
No, I am not mistaken at all. the pictures showed above are typical unhealthy Heteractis crispa. They are very often imported to they US dyed with food color green, yellow etc... If they lucky and live, their tentacles will elogated and the pink, purple tip color will diluted. They will become brown with a hinted of color on the tentacles tip.
The distinguishing characteristic of this species is the column that have very prominent adhesive verrucae.

I cann't read what the website you link Nevertheless, they are verymuch in error.
Minh Nguyen

Stretch
03/03/2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Minh Nguyen
I cann't read what the website you link Nevertheless, they are verymuch in error.

Heres what a tranlator site could get
http://members.shaw.ca/jessehamel/web.jpg

lawndoctor
03/04/2003, 05:05 PM
No one laughs at my jokes any more.

Seriously, I asked Dr. Shimek about this:

Originally posted by rshimek
Radianthus is an obsolete name, it has been replaced by Heteractis and lobata has been replaced as well.

Radianthus lobata is now known as Heteractis crispa. A number of different forms were given species names around the 1880s and this is one of them. Whether or not the white forms of H. crispa are healthy is debatable.
I hope this clears things up.

Yamatake36
03/04/2003, 08:49 PM
Hi Lawndoctor,

Thank you very much for straightening this thing up.

Yet please allow me to say the last rubbish.
There's distiction in my tank between this one and H. crispa. It attaches to sand bed, while H.crispa does to higher part of liverock. It stays one place, while H.crispa is walking around to find better place. It does not like light, while H.crispa does the strongest light.

Anyway, I enjoyed various input from experienced reefers. Thank you, Jade, for posting it.

mpisciotti
03/05/2003, 12:27 PM
hello it sounds like you have a seabea anemone i also have one in my tank it has been in there for a while with seabea clown fish hosting in it they fish auctally spawned in the anemone which i noticed yesterday. ad far as feeding i use frozen silversides and i buy damsel fish for 3 bucks each and place it right in the center of the anemone . it has not moved since i put it in the tank but has tripled in size since i bought it