PDA

View Full Version : Percula larvar attracted strong light?

Rare Angels
03/02/2003, 04:39 PM
I am working on raising another hatch of percula clowns. The fry hatched last night and I transferred them to a 10 gallon tank with about 4 gallons in it. This is my 4th batch of eggs and I am still learning.

I turned the light on for the larval tank and waited a couple hours before checking on the larval. When I did check on them I noticed they were all at the surface and seemsed to be trying to swim out of the water. After reading Joyce's clownfish book and reading a reply to a post I posted earlier I figured my lighting was to dim. The flourescent light I originally had was a 15 watt bulb, therefore I put a 55 watt PC light over the tank. This seemed to draw them to the surface more then the 15 watt. I then tried a 175 watt HM light, the same thing happened. They should have be repulsed by the bright lights and tried to swim through the bottom of the tank.

Do anyone out there have any idea what these larvae are doing?

The larval tank has the sides covered and the bottom is white.

prevyet
03/03/2003, 03:46 PM
Their instinct may be to go towards the sun or top of the water as this is were their natural food supply would be.

Project Reef
03/04/2003, 03:33 PM
Joyce's book also mentions how baby perc's are attracted by light at their top fin. If you slowly place a small flashlight in the tank and move it, they will follow it with their top fin instead of their face. She mentions how you can make them swim in really unusual patterns and positions if you play the light a bit.